Greenerd No. # 3Arbor Press 3 Ton

This mod has some merit, but is not always the best route.

If you are pressing something that has a relatively long press, you can start by running the ram all the way up and adjusting where your pinion will be, but as you return to the work and start pressing, you get to a point where the lever is in the wrong spot again, and it is a pain to run the ram back up to rotate the pinion, especially if what you are pressing is "less than stable" on the press table. For short presses usually works out ok.

Best route I have seen is to machine the end of the pinion to a suitable sized hex and place a socket on it, or machine a 3/4" square hole in the end of the pinion, or alternately weld on a socket so that you have a 3/4" square hole at the end of the pinion, then using a 3/4 Drive Ratchet you are now set.

Walter

I couldn't machine a 3/4" square hole, but if I got a shop to do it, is the metal hard enough that it wouldn't get wallowed out from using a 3/4" ratchet on it? What would you use, about an 18" ratchet on it? Those are pretty pricey too though.

I couldn't machine a 3/4" square hole, but if I got a shop to do it, is the metal hard enough that it wouldn't get wallowed out from using a 3/4" ratchet on it? What would you use, about an 18" ratchet on it? Those are pretty pricey too though.

Try using it as is to start. You may find that for your application it will work fine. I use my press every day, many times a day, so the extra convenience of a ratchet lever is very much appreciated, but there are thousands of presses made without that feature, so not always a critical "break a deal" point.

Square holes are not that hard to make, Drill each of four corners with a smaller sized drill bit and drill out the centre with a bit the size of your square, then clean out the rest. As for wallowing out the square hole, will depend on how much use it gets.

Here is an article from Rick Sparber on making square holes.

http://rick.sparber.org/msh.pdf

3/4 drive ratchets, find a good used one. I have one in the store now, 3/4 ratchet, 3/4 Sliding T-Bar (bar is a bit bent) extensions and sockets from 7/8 - 1-7/8 that will sell for about $200.

Walter

Thats what I was thinking, maybe it won't be that bad as it is. I take it in making a square hole. you are talking about a through hole, not a blind hole?
But now, the # 3 press, it should have enough omph for my application. 1st project is to press out bearings in the powermatic sander drum rollers?
This is a question.

I've got a Greenard #2 and it wouldn't have a problem, so with a #3 no sweat.
Michael

Thats what I was thinking, maybe it won't be that bad as it is. I take it in making a square hole. you are talking about a through hole, not a blind hole?
But now, the # 3 press, it should have enough omph for my application. 1st project is to press out bearings in the powermatic sander drum rollers?
This is a question.

Through hole or blind hole, technique is almost the same. Only real difference is that you need to set depth to drill the holes and drill the four corners with a diameter that is small enough to give desired corner radius. Maybe chain drill on either side as well, if needed. Drill centre section out with bit the diameter of the square. This cleans out 90% or more of the square section. Then clean out the rest, die grinder, pliers etc.

Walter

There is a cheap fix for non ratcheting arbor presses.
Basically it involves grinding a couple of teeth from the lower portion of the ram, Thus when the ram is raised to its full extent it is possible to rotate the pinion to any position that would suit the particular job at hand.

Cheers Phil

Whoh Great idea!

I don't know if I'll modify my Greenard, but that is great to keep in mind

Bernie

- - - Updated - - -

I have this exact arbor press, Greenard #3. Great size. Good thing is it still has the bolster plate (rotating plate) for different diameter work. Mine still has it. Not that you can't make one, but nice to have it already.

There are workarounds for the ratcheting type of action if that gets to you. I don't have much issue with it, for as often as I use it, and for the price difference.

Bernie

Does it have plenty of force to say press automotive U joints, and say, bearings in My powermatic 33 sander?

Whoh Great idea!

I don't know if I'll modify my Greenard, but that is great to keep in mind

Bernie

- - - Updated - - -

I have this exact arbor press, Greenard #3. Great size. Good thing is it still has the bolster plate (rotating plate) for different diameter work. Mine still has it. Not that you can't make one, but nice to have it already.

There are workarounds for the ratcheting type of action if that gets to you. I don't have much issue with it, for as often as I use it, and for the price difference.

Bernie

The 3 ton Greenerd came home with me today. If I had a brain, I would be dangerous!
I forgot my money. was an hour and a half away. I have to mail him a check now.
But I dealt with him before, so He trusted me.
He is the fellow I brought my 1940's Unisaw off of.

Then I stopped at Harbor Freight and picked up this bearing splitter set. Had a 25% 0ff coupon too.
http://www.harborfreight.com/bearing-separator-and-puller-set-93980.html
Fellows at Garage journal gave it high marks.
image_21569.jpg

Thanks for the replies and help.

Back