Greenerd No. # 3Arbor Press 3 Ton

mrbreezeet1

Active User
Registered
do you guys think a greenerd No # 3 Arbor press 3 ton is worth $300.00?
He had it at $495.00, and now he is down to $300.00.
I would like to have it in my shop, but is that a fair price.
I know it's not a steal, but is it a fair price.
I have seen it, and it looks to be in nice shape.

[h=2][/h]

#3.jpg

I have a number 2 which I bought cheap, with a stand full of bending fixtures etc at an auction during the early 90's recession. I think $300 is a decent price as it appears to be in good condition, but I would probably push for $250. I think I paid $45.00.
Michael

Last edited:
I have a number 2 which I bought cheap, with a stand full of bending fixtures etc at an auction during the early 90's recession. I think $300 is a decent price as it appears to be in good condition, but I would probably push for $250.
Michael

Don't know if you saw my "Brought a Unisaw sight un-seen" thread?
But it's actually the same guy.
He had the unisaw on for a while at a certain price, and lowered it too.
Maybe I will ask him if he will take $250.00.
I think he sort of "took a liking " to me...................LOL

Actually, I see ENCO has a nice looking one, 3 ton, ratcheting type, for just under $200.00.
Catch there -20% sale get it for $180.00,(No, more like $160.00) and combine with there free shipping code, pretty good deal. Still need a stand, or bench top real estate, But still.
I shot him an e mail, if he will take $250.00, I will go with it. I need one ASAP for my powermatic sander bearing install. They say you really need a press for those. http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=805-1035&PMPXNO=952944&PARTPG=INLMK32

BTY
why does this keep defaulting back to the small font?

Last edited:
I yhink for that much money I would go with a 20 ton shop press from HF. Can do more with a shop press.

Personally, looks like a fair deal on an arbor press, big question being how often do they show up "fos-sile" in your neighbour hood. I paid more than that back in the early 80's for a Famco 25R without a stand. I had called from school and asked if he would hold it until I got off school, otherwise I would have to skip school for the day. He said he would hold it until I got there after school. When I got there, I asked if there was any dicker room in his price and he pulled out a sheet of paper with my name and number written at the top and a long list of names and numbers written under it. I paid the man what he was asking and hauled the beast home. It has been the most used tool in the shop for many years now.

As for this unit you are looking at,

Pluses US made castings, and generally better built.

Minuses Not a ratchet action, the ratchet puts your pressure point always in the best spot, not in an awkward downward angle.

The enco is probably Chinese (lower quality) or Taiwan (better than China)

Walter

Personally, looks like a fair deal on an arbor press, big question being how often do they show up "fos-sile" in your neighbour hood. I paid more than that back in the early 80's for a Famco 25R without a stand. I had called from school and asked if he would hold it until I got off school, otherwise I would have to skip school for the day. He said he would hold it until I got there after school. When I got there, I asked if there was any dicker room in his price and he pulled out a sheet of paper with my name and number written at the top and a long list of names and numbers written under it. I paid the man what he was asking and hauled the beast home. It has been the most used tool in the shop for many years now.

As for this unit you are looking at,

Pluses US made castings, and generally better built.

Minuses Not a ratchet action, the ratchet puts your pressure point always in the best spot, not in an awkward downward angle.

The enco is probably Chinese (lower quality) or Taiwan (better than China)

Walter

Thats so funny, I just read your post on another site. Same story. It was sitting in the wood pile?
Put it in your trunk, and you had power steering, front wheels barely touching. ........................LOL

"There is an ENCO brand,
and a Palmgren brand.
I always was under the impression that Palmgren was decent quality.
You see a lot of there drill press vices. "

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAK ... PG=INLMK32

Thing is, the Palmgren brand, I thought would be better than the ENCO,
But the link don't show it, but it says on the master catalog page, that the Enco 3 ton unit is a ratchet action
Page 601
So I don't know, maybe the Enco unit is a better choice?

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=601&PMITEM=805-1035

Thats so funny, I just read your post on another site. Same story. It was sitting in the wood pile?
Put it in your trunk, and you had power steering, front wheels barely touching. ........................LOL

"There is an ENCO brand,
and a Palmgren brand.
I always was under the impression that Palmgren was decent quality.
You see a lot of there drill press vices. "

Thing is, the Palmgren brand, I thought would be better than the ENCO,
But the link don't show it, but it says on the master catalog page, that the Enco 3 ton unit is a ratchet action
Page 601
So I don't know, maybe the Enco unit is a better choice?

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=601&PMITEM=805-1035

If you look in the KBC tools catalogue www.kbctools.com see page 954 for the arbor presses, you will see that the KBC and the Palmgren arbor press is the same picture, only the Palmgren is light blue and the KBC is Gray, and the Palmgren says it is International Quality Line. The specs seem to be a bit different between them, and the Plamgren appears to be a bit lighter in weight. Mind you the picture is probably for the 1/2 ton unit as they have one picture for the range of presses.

Personally, and after selling and using many different arbor presses over the years, I like the ratchet action. I would also aim for the 5 ton unit if I was to replace my current one as the extra capacity over the table is often a very important dimension. My press is only about the same hight as the 3 ton units listed there, about 12" and I often find that the shaft or item to be pressed is just a bit too long to fit. If you look at my other mentions of presses, you will find that I custom made a stand and that included a floor foot, that I can press against for long items. Next mod will be to drill holes in the stand for a moveable auxillary table so I can further adjust for longer shafts.

Yup, the press was sitting in the guys woodpile, and yup it was heavy enough that it lifted the front tires of the Valiant I had at the time so that they just touched the ground, and yup the story will stay the same each time I tell it as easier to tell the truth than try to make up and remember a new story each time.

Walter

Back