Greenerd No. # 3Arbor Press 3 Ton

heck, the KBC 3 ton is only $168.00, But I don't know about there shipping.
but the 3 ton Palmgren is $600. something.
It can't , I don't think be the same one enco has for $229.00
Oh, that site has free shipping orders over $200.00.
So you think the ratchet type I would like better.
What, does it allow better force to be applied?
Looks like Enco don't have the Palmgren in the ratchet axction
You did say.............I like the ratchet action
The 3 ton is about all I can go for right now price wise.

EDIT

This guy here was not happy at all with the 3 ton Palmgren.

http://www.amazon.com/Palmgren-61301-3-Ton-Manual-Arbor/product-reviews/B00068U7XG

If you read the reviews at enco, they are not favorable.
[url]http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=890-8805&PMPXNO=3463254&PARTPG=INLMK32

Revews on the enco were good. (5 stars out of 5 reviews)
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=805-1035&PMPXNO=952944&PARTPG=INLMK32

[/URL]

Last edited:
heck, the KBC 3 ton is only $168.00, But I don't know about there shipping.
but the 3 ton Palmgren is $600. something.
It can't , I don't think be the same one enco has for $229.00
Oh, that site has free shipping orders over $200.00.
So you think the ratchet type I would like better.
What, does it allow better force to be applied?
Looks like Enco don't have the Palmgren in the ratchet axction
You did say.............I like the ratchet action
The 3 ton is about all I can go for right now price wise.

EDIT

This guy here was not happy at all with the 3 ton Palmgren.

http://www.amazon.com/Palmgren-61301-3-Ton-Manual-Arbor/product-reviews/B00068U7XG

If you read the reviews at enco, they are not favorable.
[URL]http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=890-8805&PMPXNO=3463254&PARTPG=INLMK32

Revews on the enco were good. (5 stars out of 5 reviews)
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=805-1035&PMPXNO=952944&PARTPG=INLMK32

[/URL]

With a conventional arbor press, the lever handle is a bar that slides through a hole in the shaft of the pinion gear. As the pinion gear is rotated, the ram is forced down or up. The lever however rotates from let's say straight up and down (12 o'clock) and clocks forward until it is straight up and down again, at which time you can slide it in the pinion back up to the top and start pressing again. The basic problem is that the best position for putting torque on the pinion is when the lever is at about 2 O'clock (1:30 to 2:30) HIgher than that 12 o'clock and the pull is forward not down. Lower than 3 O'clock and you shift your weight above the lever and push down, rather than pull down, and it can be awkward.

With a ratchet lever arbor press, the lever is not pinned to the pinnion, but rotates around it, and a dog on the lever engages a toothed "gear" on the pinion. When the lever gets to a position where it is not giving the best downward force, you raise it back up, click, click, click and then the dog engages the teeth of the gear and you can continue pressing.

So yes, I definitely prefer the ratchet style arbor press, as it is easier and more efficient to use over one that has a sliding T-Bar lever. I have seen mod's done to regular presses, such as milling the end of the pinion in a hex and using a rachet and socket drive, but then a good 3/4" drive ratchet is pricey too, so often best to just get the ratchet style in the first place.

Palmgren shows an AP30 regular arbor press, 3 Ton and a RP30 Ratchet Abor press 3 Ton in the KBC Tools catalogue. The ratchet is higher priced than the regular one.

Walter

Last edited:
OK Thanks, Ratchet sounds better.
I didn't like the reviews of the Palmgren at enco and amazon, maybe that was a cheap one though.
I am tempted to try the Enco one. The Palmgren RP30 Ratchet Arbor press 3 Ton is almost $700.00.

Last edited:
I had a Jet 5 ton non ratchet and will not have another. Handle was always in the wrong place. Bought a compound action Dake and like it alot.As an aside I also bought a Chinese 20 ton with gauge, put around 15 ton on it and broke the angle iron holding the bottom of the uprights together. Drilled uprights on bottom and put a 1" tie bar through with washer and nuts, won't go anywhere now.

I have a number 2 which I bought cheap, with a stand full of bending fixtures etc at an auction during the early 90's recession. I think $300 is a decent price as it appears to be in good condition, but I would probably push for $250. I think I paid $45.00.
Michael
Yeah,he came down to $250.00 for me, but Itold him l wanted to bring the quill aassembly from the lower drive drum of the 300 p/m sander l just got. Have him /and me demo it, I want to make sure
It will do what l need it to.If it presses out the bearings OK l will most likely buy it. I am waiting to hear back from him

There is a cheap fix for non ratcheting arbor presses.
Basically it involves grinding a couple of teeth from the lower portion of the ram, Thus when the ram is raised to its full extent it is possible to rotate the pinion to any position that would suit the particular job at hand.

Cheers Phil

Basically it involves grinding a couple of teeth from the lower portion of the ram, Thus when the ram is raised to its full extent it is possible to rotate the pinion to any position that would suit the particular job at hand.

Cheers Phil

I may look into that.
I just got off the phone with him, I go look at it Friday, bringing the powermatic quill with me,
Like I said, He came down to $250.00
I think it's a pretty good deal.

I may look into that.
I just got off the phone with him, I go look at it Friday, bringing the powermatic quill with me,
Like I said, He came down to $250.00
I think it's a pretty good deal.

Cheers Phil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFfx2_bj104

Cheers Phil

This mod has some merit, but is not always the best route.

If you are pressing something that has a relatively long press, you can start by running the ram all the way up and adjusting where your pinion will be, but as you return to the work and start pressing, you get to a point where the lever is in the wrong spot again, and it is a pain to run the ram back up to rotate the pinion, especially if what you are pressing is "less than stable" on the press table. For short presses usually works out ok.

Best route I have seen is to machine the end of the pinion to a suitable sized hex and place a socket on it, or machine a 3/4" square hole in the end of the pinion, or alternately weld on a socket so that you have a 3/4" square hole at the end of the pinion, then using a 3/4 Drive Ratchet you are now set.

Walter

This mod has some merit, but is not always the best route.

If you are pressing something that has a relatively long press, you can start by running the ram all the way up and adjusting where your pinion will be, but as you return to the work and start pressing, you get to a point where the lever is in the wrong spot again, and it is a pain to run the ram back up to rotate the pinion, especially if what you are pressing is "less than stable" on the press table. For short presses usually works out ok.

Best route I have seen is to machine the end of the pinion to a suitable sized hex and place a socket on it, or machine a 3/4" square hole in the end of the pinion, or alternately weld on a socket so that you have a 3/4" square hole at the end of the pinion, then using a 3/4 Drive Ratchet you are now set.

Walter

I might just do that.
I will see how it is 1st like it is though.

Back