Greenerd No. # 3Arbor Press 3 Ton

Another way to add ratch to that press. Get aa 3/4" drive socket that will drive over the pinion shaft. Drill a hole through the side the size of the lever. Drive the socket on and pin it.

OK sounds good, and you have the bearing knives now as well, so that is a good start. I like the OTC Bearing splitters as they use a single pressure screw, but I have a many of the style you picked up and they work well.

Now you need to get or make some press sleeves. I discussed them a depth in this thread.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/19291-anyone-have-a-large-arbor-press?highlight=press+sleeves

Walter

Oh Ok Good, I'll check the link. I have made them from old bearing races too, ground a little off the OD so they wouldn't get stuck.

Well l used one of the 50 mm (0D) bearings to seat the OD of the new bearing.it had to go into the housing about a eighth of an inch.
Worked well in that case.

Well l used one of the 50 mm (0D) bearings to seat the OD of the new bearing.it had to go into the housing about a eighth of an inch.
Worked well in that case.

That works when seating the bearing into a housing, but most times the bearing is seated on the shaft and has a slip fit in the housing, and if the shaft is longer, it needs a longer sleeve to press it on. Now, often it is easier to flip the shaft and bearing and press the long shaft down through the bearing, with the bearing rested on the table, but the big thing to remember is that the bearing must be supported by the race that is being pressed on. IE if pressing onto a shaft, support the inner race, if pressing into a housing, press against the outer race. The big killer of bearings is to transfer the seating press force from one race to the other through the rolling elements.

Walter

arborpress.jpg

arborpressa.jpg

Cleaned up a old 3/4” drive socket on the lathe and bored it to fit the press pinion shaft. Held in place by a pin through the socket and shaft.

A couple of feet away, is a 30 ton hydraulic press...the arbor press is always the first choice if the part will fit and not too heavy of a press.

Cleaned up a old 3/4” drive socket on the lathe and bored it to fit the press pinion shaft. Held in place by a pin through the socket and shaft.

A couple of feet away, is a 30 ton hydraulic press...the arbor press is always the first choice if the part will fit and not too heavy of a press.

nice job on that.
I don't think I am going to alter this one though.

Back