• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Guest,  We want to wish You and Your Family a Healthy, Happy Thanksgiving! Click the "X" at the top right corner to remove this notice)
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Great deal on a broach set

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

hman

Active User
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Bolton Tools has a fantastic price on an inch keyway broach set ... $40.88 including shipping.

http://boltontool.com/12-264-S03?search=10a broach set

I was just at a Valley Metals (Phoenix area) club meeting today and one of the members had one he'd just purchased. Looked pretty nice. Four widths, seven sizes of arbors. Don't know how well it will hold up, but it'll probably be OK for the occasional use I might give it.

Groundhog

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Not to get picky at that price but there don't seem to be any shims (at least in the picture or description).

woodchucker

That's probably one of the reasons for the lower price, the other might be quaility, but at that price it's worth a try if you need it.

Alan H

Yes, that is a mighty attractive price! A new set of American made ones like that will cost 10 to 15 times that. The used ones on ebay are ridiculously priced. If the Bolton kit has no shims, make some from cheapy automotive feeler gauges.

BTW, I am jealous that you apparently have a metalworking club in your area. That sure would be nice.

hman

Active User
The set I saw had shims. I just ordered a set, and I will report on it when it arrives. Unfortunately, I won't be able to put to an actual test. My arbor presses are packed away and I'm in the process of moving/combining my Oregon and Tempe shops into a newly purchased house/shop in nearby Chandler, AZ.

Last edited:

Reeltor

Active User
This set is almost 1/2 the price I paid from Enco when it was on-sale and with a % off discount. A broach set is one of those things that is out of site out of mind until you need it. At this price I'd take the chance
Thanks for posting the link, I'm looking at other goodies that they sell

Silverbullet

I tried finding the sizes on the site but none come up . Ill buy one if it's from 3/8 or 1/2" and up. Got to watch some of these things listed like that . I have the small set , but need the 5/8" on up .

4gsr

HM Chief Foreman
Staff member
Search for "broach" and a whole bunch of stuff comes up.

Looks to me, someone missed a number when they set up the price in their system in comparison the the other broach sets they have for sale. This won't last long! Get it while you can before they catch their mistake!

ddickey

Not so sure as Ebay is selling them for $15 more or B.O.

Silverbullet

Well I ordered a set. We,'ll see how they are . I'm planning on making some gears so ill need them. At least for my own.

woodchucker

Shims are easily made from steel banding material, available used in dumpsters everywhere, free of charge.
I wish, been looking for steel banding, everything I see is plastic or poly these days. I could use a few feet of banding for springs to hold my parallels.

Doubleeboy

Active User
I wish, been looking for steel banding, everything I see is plastic or poly these days. I could use a few feet of banding for springs to hold my parallels.
Put out a request on your local Craiglist or shopper site, I bet you get a few hits.

richl

Active User
If you order a pm1440gs from quality machines, you will get 10-20 feet of it holding together the pallet

tweinke

Active User
If you order a pm1440gs from quality machines, you will get 10-20 feet of it holding together the pallet
That would be an excellent way to get a lifetime supply of banding and another machine to make parts that need keyways broached!:cool 2:

terrywerm

HM Shop Foreman
Staff member
I cannot help but get the feeling that somebody there at Bolton tool made a data entry error - and that the low price will be rather short lived. Not only that, a 10A set comes with all of the odd diameter bushings that are seldom needed. If I could get a #10 set for that price I would jump on it.

JPigg55

Active User
I cannot help but get the feeling that somebody there at Bolton tool made a data entry error - and that the low price will be rather short lived. Not only that, a 10A set comes with all of the odd diameter bushings that are seldom needed. If I could get a #10 set for that price I would jump on it.
I agree with Terry and will be surprised if they actually fullfill the orders. I've ran into that before, although the incorrect price was listed by another company and not the seller.
I went ahead and ordered a set just in case they do honor it, but won't be disappointed if they don't.

ddickey

Bolton tools sent me a best offer on eBay for $46. That makes me believe there's not an error.

Alan H

Look forward to some feedback on these after use. I am hoping they work out really well. Running them thru a few cycles will tell the story.

BGHansen

I just ordered a set too. Web site said "hurry, only 3 left"; now there's 2.

Bruce

Alan H

Okay, may be down to one left. Gave my son the tip and he just bought one.

Billh51

I ordered a set on Saturday the 14th and just got a notification from Bolton tools that they sent me a refund to my Pay Pal account. No explanation attached. I guess they run out, too bad that was a heck of a deal.

richl

Active User
I just received a refund also. I would not be surprised if others get the same. I received a shipping notice yesterday, so this must have happened just before the product went on the truck for delivery... bummer curse you red barron

[6]
5 [7]