Granite surface plate

I got my 9" x 12" granite plate from Little Machine Shop. I pre-ordered and they trucked it out to the Cabin Fever Expo in Lebanon PA using their truck, no charge for shipping. It cost me about $40 total. But you will have to wait until next January for the expo. 9x12 has been enough room for everything I have needed so far. Lebanon would be a 2 or 3 hour drive for you and the expo is well worth the trip even if you don't pick up the plate. I live in Bucks County.

Last edited:
I got my 9" x 12" granite plate from Little Machine Shop. I pre-ordered and they trucked it out to the Cabin Fever Expo in Lebanon PA using their truck, no charge for shipping. It cost me about $40 total. But you will have to wait until next January for the expo. 9x12 has been enough room for everything I have needed so far. Lebanon would be a 2 or 3 hour drive for you and the expo is well worth the trip even if you don't pick up the plate. I live in Bucks County.
Nice, what is the expo called and how can I find it any links etc. I will certainly attend it.

Woodcraft sells these same Chinese 12x18x3 Grade A surface plates, without the ledge, for about $120–less when on sale. It’s a good option if you have a Woodcraft store nearby. Mine was “certified” to be flat within 0.00005, but I’d be surprised if it was that good. For most of us, being flat within a tenth or two (Grade B) is abundantly good.

Considering the usual shipping, it’s a good option for a serviceable toolroom plate.

I mounted mine on three points in the top of a cart.

Rick “comes in a wooden crate, 80 pounds shipped” Denney

Woodcraft sells these same Chinese 12x18x3 Grade A surface plates, without the ledge, for about $120–less when on sale. It’s a good option if you have a Woodcraft store nearby. Mine was “certified” to be flat within 0.00005, but I’d be surprised if it was that good. For most of us, being flat within a tenth or two (Grade B) is abundantly good.

Considering the usual shipping, it’s a good option for a serviceable toolroom plate.

I mounted mine on three points in the top of a cart.

Rick “comes in a wooden crate, 80 pounds shipped” Denney
“I mounted mine on three points in the top of a cart.” will do so too. I was wondering how would I support it:rolleyes:

“I mounted mine on three points in the top of a cart.” will do so too. I was wondering how would I support it:rolleyes:
IMG_8820-dsqz.JPG

IMG_8821-dsqz.JPG

I used leveling feet turned upside down inserted into holes in the bench top. Nuts and washers on the leveling threads allow me to sneak in an open-end wrench to level the plate. (Which is not critical, of course.)

The three points are 20% in from the edge. Fancy surface plates mark the supporting points, but these don’t. The board under the end with the single point keeps it from sliding off if I overload a corner and tip it.

Rick “established method” Denney

Last edited:
IMG_8820-dsqz.JPG

IMG_8821-dsqz.JPG

I used leveling feet turned upside down inserted into holes in the bench top. Nuts and washers on the leveling threads allow me to sneak in an open-end wrench to level the plate. (Which is not critical, of course.)

The three points are 20% in from the edge. Fancy surface plates mark the supporting points, but these don’t. The board under the end with the single point keeps it from sliding off if I overload a corner and tip it.

Rick “established method” Denney
So nice , this are the little thing only experienced guys can share and makes life so much easier by not reinventing the wheel

I bought mine locally from Bass Tools, at the time I spent 250 buck I believe, worth every penny....

Back