Granite surface plate

tim81

Registered
Registered
Hi Guys,

I want to be able to measure parts and mark lines on new parts etc. and I see that everyone is using granite plates.

Please can you help with where can I buy one and what should I buy to be able to do the lines and the measurements.

Thanks a lot and sorry for my ignorance.

=Tim

What size are you wanting to get? You can order the smaller sizes from Amazon, Travers, KBC etc. Larger plates you would want to check your local ads and pick it up yourself, because shipping large plates gets expensive.

Mainly I did a poor job measuring my milling machine gibs with what I had around and want to redo it. So a 50cm one might do the job. Also want to learn how to do the lines on parts and check them out manually.

C grade would be acceptable for most home shops.
I bought a 9”x12” x 1-1/2” for about $50 on ebay
I use it to sharpen tools by temporarily sticking sandpaper to it.

You could get a ruler, a square, a surface gage, and something to mark the work with ( sharpie, dykem, wood ash, etc.) to do your layout. It doesn’t really have to be expensive

I think this question fits within the OP’s topic.
What are the advantages/ disadvantages of having the ledge?

This will help with getting measurements of existing parts too ;)

I hope the shipping cost for you isn't shocking.

KBC has a location in the Los Angeles Area. Out of curiosity, I put the plate in my cart and requested a shipping estimate (automated) to a zip code that I know to be about 1000 miles from LA. The reply was "1-801-760 - Cannot be shipped FedEx" (68 pounds) and a choice between will call or freight. For delivery to Pennsylvania, I imagine it would be shipped from Chicago or Detroit, but ??? Please reply with your shipping cost.

Back