Graduated Dials, and Stamping the #s

Thanks George, Ill be looking into that. 32 oz
Aliva, thanks for the link

well, i`ve got some dials to stamp!

i`d like to try a combination of 8ntsane`s and George`s idea`s. i`ll use the boring bar in the toolpost and do as George suggested and remove the excess metal so you can see what you`re doing.
i`ll need to make a new deadblow hammer too.

what i`m looking for is suggestions on where to get some GOOD quality stamps!
i tried some from HF i borrowed and they just aren`t going to cut it! (pun intended :biggrin:)

anyone have some suggestions? 1/8" or 3/16" would be the size i need, and i`d really like a set that actually has 9 stamps in it.
some i`ve seen make you use the 6 as a 9 and even the 3 twice for an 8....:(

help! i`m stuck!......

I wish I could give you a recommendation here, But I have tryed the cheapo Princess Auto stamps, Ive borrowed what are supposed to be a hi qaulity set, and I still suck! I think alot depends on the skill of the man holding the stamp, and his skill with a hammer. With the borrowed stamp set, I also borrowed a dead blow hammer. That helped alot, and worth getting one, or making one for such jobs. I think I have tryed all the recommended methods in this thread, and
have to say, I will continue to use my stamps in the boring bar holder, atleast untill I get a grip on this stamping thing, or grow old trying lol. (':shrugs:')

I have seriously been thinking about what Tom had said. About making a fixture, and pressing the stamps down. It would probably be the best way, but still alludes me as to design of such a fixture(':confused:') . Since it seems every dial is a different diameter. I have done so many test runs with stamps over the last while, every time I think about doing another one, I just cringe. Yes, I really suck at this. Ive all but searched out a shop that can engrave them for me. I hate not being able to do stamping, so Im going to give it another go again when the bad taste of the last try goes away some what.(':scared:')

There is alot of skill in stamp jobs. And even getting the spacing proper can be a challenge. Let us know how you make out with this. I hope you do much better than I have. I think for me, the failing eye sight has alot to do with my troubles stamping.

Good Luck

Maybe George will chime in with his favorite brand of stamps

1200 says,,( Help, im stuck)
8ntsane says, ( Help, I suck) (':biggrin:')

I've used Young Brothers stamps for years, not too costly and well made. I'm not very good at stamping, eyes aren't as good as they used to be. Need to try the ideas posted here, maybe I can do a better job.:))

I also have Youngs stamps. Got them from Brownells.

For stamping dials, this is how I did mine.
I took a piece of aluminum and squared it up, drilled and reamed a hole in the block for a pin the same size as the hole in my dial. My dial sits on the pin, the area above the dial was left standing kind of likea small angle plate, I cut a slot thru this boss to fit my stamps. a small bridge is clamped in front of the slot, forming a square opening to locate the stamp in relation to the dial. I slip the dial on the pin and orientate it, set it in my mill vise and gently close the vise up on the face of the dial until it is squeezed up against the aluminum fixture. I then slide my stamp in to the slot and wack it with a ball pein hammer. The stamp can't move and neither can the dial. I unclamp the vise and move to the next witness mark I want stamped and repeat. The fixture took about 15 minutes to make and you can tailor one to fit any dial.

I'll try to post a picture tommorrow when I wake up. It works quite well.

Largedialconversion.jpg

Largedialconversion.jpg

MSC currently has Youngs letter and numbers stamp on sale at 15 to 30% off depending on the which one of the sets one orders. Good to about early May.

Page 49 in the Metalworking Deals April flyer. Click on Special Offers tab for the drop down menu. Select Metalworking Deals, get to the flyer, spend money.

Last edited:
Back