Got Sharpie Problems?

I had a grad student working sir me back in the seventies who had a little cardboard tube that he stuck sharpies into, with a string tied onto the backend. He would then just spin the thing around in circles ( 4 ft or so in diameter ). It worked like a champ. Love the lath spinner idea although with the right grad student around you don’t have to worry about the things not working. Just have to take em to lunch every now and then.

I made one today. It works great on both thick and thin Sharpies. I was hoping that I could get it work on ballpoint pens. No luck so far :(

A YT channel I watch, The Slow Mo Guys, just put out this video. Pretty cool to watch what happens to things with expensive high speed cameras.

The cost of the aluminum and the time spent, you might just want to buy a six pack! But any reason to spend time in the shop makes it all worth while.. I know stainless tooth picks are are all the rage! I'm on it..

The cost of the aluminum and the time spent, you might just want to buy a six pack! But any reason to spend time in the shop makes it all worth while.. I know stainless tooth picks are are all the rage! I'm on it..

Oh I certainly didn't need this, it was all in good fun & more of a joke really but the thing does work well. That's exactly what is was, an excuse to make chips when I was bored one day. It came to mind a while back & I wrote the idea down in my phone. I've got many ideas that I have jotted down in my phone but never got around too.

Didn't think I'd ever go through with making one & it really didn't take that long. The aluminum I had on hand. Was gonna make it out of delrin (which I also have) but didn't want to waste it on this, aluminum is cheaper.

And I've got boxes of new Sharpies so no issue there. I've only really had the finer tip Sharpies dry out leaving the cap off for too long. A quick flick of the wrist a few times usually solves that but again, where's the fun it that! :big grin:

I may make some titanium chopsticks the next time I'm bored.

Nice! Could use a counterweight.. :)

It sure could! I actually tried it in the hand held drill, shook my brains out & that was only at low speed. I'd be scared to fully pull the trigger!

Some guys suggested making it a double barrel to counterweight it.

Back