Good starting filament printer?

Lex_Peacekeeper

Registered
Registered
so I am looking at making a bottle to filament device, but with that would need a 3d printer to make sure its used or someone that wants to use it
saw that the very basic ender 3s are like $170 right now (higher then I wanted to spend with the cost of making the device)
was wondering if the ender 3 is a good starting printer or if people know of a better cheap printer to get going on?

I know I need a heated bed, and a hot end that can go higher then some of the lower end ones (looking at them for price points on the device)

I started with an Ender 3 (the original) and it was great. I still have it, although it's been heavily and repeatedly modified. That's half the fun though.

I'd recommend the Ender 3 Neo V2. You may need some upgrades too, although a simple (cardboard) box will go a long way. If I were in your shoes I'd budget at least $300 for a test printer. You can get something that prints (a lower 'grade' Ender 3, probably) but it won't be doing PETG justice. Mind you, this is only a starting point. If you have something truly ingenious, you're going to eventually want something 'fancy' to really demonstrate what you've got, but an Ender 3 is probably a good starting point.

GsT

My Ender3v2 has been flawless.

I use a Prusa i3 clone. I did a few small upgrades to it but it does pretty well out of the box.
It's almost 10 years old so I'm sure there's a few options out there that compete with it.

so hear me out, I just looked at my funds and it would be hard to buy a new 3D printer right now, but I already have a CNC Mill, that more or less has all the same parts, could one just swap out the spindle with a hot end unit and feeder then add a heated bed?

so hear me out, I just looked at my funds and it would be hard to buy a new 3D printer right now, but I already have a CNC Mill, that more or less has all the same parts, could one just swap out the spindle with a hot end unit and feeder then add a heated bed?
Sort of.

You need a way to control the extrusion. A mill won't be built in with a driver for that.
Also, the beds on a mill might not move fast enough for a decent 3D printer.

Yeah, I don't this either working, or being cheaper than an Ender 3.

I can't see this working for less than a used Ender 3

I can't see this working for less than a used Ender 3
thats the thing I kinda live in the middle of no where now there is nothing used for sale in the area thats anything good, been trying to find a bandsaw since I got here almost a year ago, and the only ones were more rust then machine and something thats higher tech like a 3D printer I would want to see it work before parting with cash

Back