Good Deal or ...?

Look at the sellers feedback... the 15 or so that I looked at is all for a 200 count pack of small bags for $199... I wouldn't even consider paying half that much... all of the buyers have low feedback numbers... something is fishy...

-Bear

While we are discussing ebay scams... what is up with this...?

Screenshot_20210702-171037_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20210702-171019_eBay.jpg

I've been watching both of these for a while... I actually reported it to ebay as a possible scam, but nothing has been done.

Both listings have been up for months... probably because one is way overpriced (it is probably the legitimate listing) and the other is at the high end of what I feel the lathe is worth... combined with a zero feedback seller and being identical to another ad... I doubt most people would be willing to bite.

-Bear

Update: A tracking number was issued within ten hours of the transaction but there has been no further action since. The seller has since completely vanished from eBay as of today. I contacted eBay requesting a refund as I suspected a scam and they attempted to contact the seller but there was no longer an account so they issued a full refund. A check on my PayPal account verified that a credit had been issued.

If a questionable purchase is being made, it is a good idea to track it on a regular basis to make sure that everything is going as it should. Acting quickly will prevent headaches later on. It is disappointing to see that eBay does no better a job at vetting the vendors than Facebook does. I wonder if these scam artists are setting up fake accounts years ahead of initiating the scam to lend some credibility to the scam as eBay had vouched for the scammer as a vendor in good standing for more than two years.

On a side note, I tracked down the manufacturer and the plasma cutter actually looks lie a fairly good unit. The manufacturer sells the unit direct for $675 while the US eBay seller lists it at $649.

It is disappointing to see that eBay does no better a job at vetting the vendors than Facebook does. I wonder if these scam artists are setting up fake accounts years ahead of initiating the scam to lend some credibility to the scam as eBay had vouched for the scammer as a vendor in good standing for more than two years.

Until the seller has done something wrong, I doubt E-bay can do anything. Maybe a better job of catching the sellers that use many accounts to give each other good feedback, over many small purchases.

I just do not see where it is worth the sellers time and effort. Several years to setup, and then maybe get away with a few hundred dollars at most.

I thought Primeweld was a reputable retailer??

Until the seller has done something wrong, I doubt E-bay can do anything. Maybe a better job of catching the sellers that use many accounts to give each other good feedback, over many small purchases.

I just do not see where it is worth the sellers time and effort. Several years to setup, and then maybe get away with a few hundred dollars at most.
I first saw the offering in an e-mail from eBay featuring the torch. Obviously, valued vendors with a long standing good reputation is not a criterion for eBay's selection. Facebook is far worse at this, running ads from obvious scammers, all for the sake of a few advertising dollars.

I first saw the offering in an e-mail from eBay featuring the torch. Obviously, valued vendors with a long standing good reputation is not a criterion for eBay's selection. Facebook is far worse at this, running ads from obvious scammers, all for the sake of a few advertising dollars.
Is it blatant money grabbing tactics or do you think they missed it?
Thousands and thousands of ads, but, you would think their algorithm/s would catch blatant scams??

In the case of Facebook, I believe that it is don't know, don't care to know. They are selling advertising, period. Running ads for plans for perpetual; motion machines, current production name brand computers at 5% of MSRP, and various types of snake oil all for the almighty dollar. (This isn't the Marketplace but ads running in my news feed.)

In the case of eBay, I can see where it would be difficult to separate out bogus offerings from the legitimate ones. Occasionally, there are some real deals to be had for one reason or another. Given the vast number of possible items, it would be virtually impossible to create an algorithm which could spot a scam.

Here's another example of a scam which appeared as a Facebook ad.
The telescopes shown here range from just under $1,300 to over $6,000.

If telescopes aren't your thing, the seller also offers a commercial grade arcade game for $89 with free shipping.

Back