Going out with my wife isn't what it use to be

When I started driving interstate back in Dec '66 the Co I was with was hauling eggs to the east coast from the Midwest, Iowa and Minnesota, for $.90/case, 30 doz, 790 cases per load and diesel was how much back then??
Basically, pennies compared to today.
I remember, at least I think I do, buying fuel for $0.44/gal then.
The current price of fuel must figure into the cost of everything.
Therein lies part of the answer.

Just checked with my old dispatcher and the going rate for fuel surcharge now for truckload carriers is $.59/mile!

Last edited:
The wife and I go out every now and then, and almost every time, we vow to never do it again. It's not just the price, it's the poor quality food you get for it. Damn few places are worth the money they charge. I have to keep stopping my self from giving examples. It's just ranting. LOL

We saved so much during lock down that we were able to afford a new (smaller) house...

We really do not miss going out... I mean, we started going out to eat again and the invoice shock was significant... We will do it, but only to celebrate a birthday or a special occasion... but that is it.

All the savings are going back into the new house and building the workshop... Oh, and wine...

We do have a place in downtown Ocala that we love to eat... Morevino... guess why? Food is amazing, wine is great, and the folks there treat us like family... But we have had to cut back on visits... at least until we finally move and sell the house in Orlando.

Last edited:
31 dollars for a bud and a rum and coke. Good reason to quit drinking. At least they can pass the costs on. At the farm my budget was gone by June. So far it doesn’t look like we will even recover harvest costs. Some years are better than others.

Yep. The value of money has definitely taken a major hit. At least value wise the national debt is nowhere near what it was! Not long ago a trillion dollars was real money. Hey........ you don't think? Na couldn't be.

My wife and I have had a standing "Friday Date Night" for many years - until recently. We still get the occasional date in, but prices are through the roof, and any further comment would invite politicing... It's obscene. We're not working, but I can't imagine that it's much better even for those that are.

GsT

Yep, It's expensive to go out these days. I never pay the 15% tip; I do tip just not the 15% that is recommended. I have a niece who is a bar tender, she let it out of the bag that last years she made over $100K with tips and wages. I was working in what I called a skilled job and never made that much money and never got a tip.
When the price of a meal doubles maybe it's time to rethink the 15% tip. I dunno, when prices go up does the food get heavier?

When I was a green engineer at HP back in 1970, we had to turn in expense reports and I normally lost the receipts and created a fuss. An older and wiser engineer told me to do what he did…use the 2 4 8 plan. He explained, just estimate, breakfast $2, lunch $4, dinner $8. I recall thinking “how could anybody spend $8 on dinner. He’s cheating the company.”

Those were the good old days.
Oh that’s funny.
$6 for a motel right?

Times have changed. $1.8 million for a flat roof dog house with a garage you could squeeze a VW bug into, Millbrae Ca.
That’s across the freeway from the SF airport.

When the price of a meal doubles maybe it's time to rethink the 15% tip. I dunno, when prices go up does the food get heavier?
I have mixed feelings about this. Face it, most waiters and waitresses are not top wage earners, with or without tips. And they need to eat and feed their families. I don't like the escalating inflationary period we have been going through, but have some mercy on the folks in the service sector. They are people too.

Back