Going out with my wife isn't what it use to be

My income is pretty much fixed so try to keep it simple. In order to keep things on an even keel,
I keep my income greater than my outgo. That's pretty simple. That's why I grow my own food
for the most part and cut my own firewood and heat my house and domestic water with it. Eating out
is a rarity and saved for special occasions. I also do a lot of canning of vegetables which is labor
intensive but quite satisfying these days. It's not an easy life but I consider it better than being
broke and or homeless.
Grandparents on both sides were this way and we were raised this way. Very glad for this upbringing. Hard work and knowing the value of a dollar. We didn't need the grocery store to survive, just used for items that made life easier.

My friend, who passed several years ago had his high school senior daughter get in a minor accident a few weeks ago. After her mother told me I texted the young lady to check on her and see if she needed anything. I've known her her whole life and is a awesome young lady, her dad would be so proud of her and her brother. She was fine and unsure about some work being done on her vehicle. She had mentioned work was scheduling her too much for her school schedule. They are having a hard time getting employees that will show up and work!! I know, no surprise to this group. This job that unskilled labor doesn't want, she works at the cafeteria for the local hospital and gets paid $20 an hour!!!

As to tipping, I'm all about the service. Great service, WELL above 15%. Basic service 15%. Poor service less. Good workers should be rewarded, poor ones not so much, I don't like rewarding poor behavior. Love good service.

Eating out update. I had a planning meeting with our gang for our Spring fishing trip at a sports bar & grill in SE Wisconsin today. I ordered the special of the day which was a pulled pork sandwich w/ bbq sauce and fries and a Pepsi for a drink. The pulled pork came on a plain 4" bun a.with a meager serving of pork and the sandwich was cold, dry, and not very tasty. The fries were OK and a reasonable size. The total,with tip came to $25. My $10 McD's lunch last Monday was definitely the better deal by comparison. But then I forgot to factor in the ambiance.

So 3-4 years ago , my wife and I hit the local dive bar ( Bateman's ) every Friday night for bar food , drinks and kareoke . I would drink my usual 8 beers and she would have 2 glasses of wine . Add in chicken casadias , maybe a lb. of shrimp and other tidbits , but we stayed until closing . The tab was always around $70 bucks which was great . Bateman's ( which is well known for their wings around Baltimore ) , closed down and some friggin biestro opened up . We stopped in to check it out . Quail eggs , spinach pizza , not one beer I could pronounce . One beer and one glass of wine was $27 . I told them they would not see us anymore . Last Sat night the 2 of us went out to listen to the band we follow . Dinner and 4 hours worth of drinks was $140 plus the tip . Yep , getting expensive , but I do need to get out of the garage once or twice a month . It is what it is . I drink the cheapest crappy beer at home , only because it doesn't last long . When we go out , it's Coors Light ..............which is like sex in a canoe . Fu***ng near water . :eek:

The other night I went out and had a bowl of soup with my wife. It cost me $400. The soup was good Japanese stuff, but that was the cheap part. The night got expensive when I walked out of the restaurant with my Swiss made Gore-Tex coat sitting on the floor. I went back and asked about lost-and-found, and they were very familiar with the concept- I lost it, and someone found it! Well, it wasn't me who found it. And that's all she wrote.

So 3-4 years ago , my wife and I hit the local dive bar ( Bateman's ) every Friday night for bar food , drinks and kareoke . I would drink my usual 8 beers and she would have 2 glasses of wine . Add in chicken casadias , maybe a lb. of shrimp and other tidbits , but we stayed until closing . The tab was always around $70 bucks which was great . Bateman's ( which is well known for their wings around Baltimore ) , closed down and some friggin biestro opened up . We stopped in to check it out . Quail eggs , spinach pizza , not one beer I could pronounce . One beer and one glass of wine was $27 . I told them they would not see us anymore . Last Sat night the 2 of us went out to listen to the band we follow . Dinner and 4 hours worth of drinks was $140 plus the tip . Yep , getting expensive , but I do need to get out of the garage once or twice a month . It is what it is . I drink the cheapest crappy beer at home , only because it doesn't last long . When we go out , it's Coors Light ..............which is like sex in a canoe . Fu***ng near water . :eek:

I asked my brother in law once why he drank coors light and he said 'I don't like beer. Awesome response. Flavored rice water..........

The other night I went out and had a bowl of soup with my wife. It cost me $400. The soup was good Japanese stuff, but that was the cheap part. The night got expensive when I walked out of the restaurant with my Swiss made Gore-Tex coat sitting on the floor. I went back and asked about lost-and-found, and they were very familiar with the concept- I lost it, and someone found it! Well, it wasn't me who found it. And that's all she wrote.
Oh my, I hate that for you. Reminds me of leaving my ipad on the plane. I became familiar with the concept as well. By the way, whats the going price for a beer in the airport now?

Back