Going out with my wife isn't what it use to be

I cook every night for me and my wife just because it is crazy expensive to eat out. Plus most of the time the meal I fix is better than what you can get at a restaurant anyways.
No doubt home cooked meals can be better and certainly healthier. My wife and I go out more for the atmosphere and to enjoy each others company away from the kids and grandkids. IMHO, it keeps the relationship flourishing....

For the most part, we don't go out that often these days. We've found we can have a very nice meal for far less than in restaurants. We only go out for an infrequent treat or when we visit with our kids.

Still trying to teach my younger daughter to stay in and cook more. It's a good way to save quite a bit of money. She'll need to know this as she is looking to buy a house. Then she'll know what house poor is...

My wife and I went to In and Out burgers about a week ago, 2 cheeseburgers one order of fries and two drinks; all for around $15. A&W wanted nearly $28 for the same meal, we will not be going there again.

My wife Glenda and I enjoy the occasional night out for a drink or two and a small plate at the bar.
This saves money and we enjoy the camaraderie and the atmosphere.

So what's changed?

Last night we paid $71 including a 15% tip for two domestic bottled beers, one glass of wine, a small salad and an order of mussels.
Does that seem like a lot to you?
Or is it I'm retired and on a fixed income?

A week ago we went to another place downtown, same scenario, almost $70 for two taco plates and a couple drinks.

A half gallon of milk is almost $6. A box of Granola was $7.99 at Raleys but only $4.68 at Winco.
Don't get me started on meat.

At least gas has come down.

Maybe we won't go out anymore. Fat chance of that.
I am married after all. :)
I hear ya, Patty and I were down in NYC last weekend. Went out to some Asian fusion joint, 2 small appetizers and we split an entree I had 2 draft beers and she had 2 cocktails, bill was almost $200 with the tip! The food was good and all but we usually feed ourselves, very well, for only a little more than that per week... It's been just over 3 years since we moved out of there, it wasn't nearly that expensive before we left.

Yep, It's expensive to go out these days. I never pay the 15% tip; I do tip just not the 15% that is recommended. I have a niece who is a bar tender, she let it out of the bag that last years she made over $100K with tips and wages. I was working in what I called a skilled job and never made that much money and never got a tip.
Ha,
When we went out with my dad I always hung back to make sure he would leave a tip.
He liked it best when I paid!
He figured 2 bits was fair.

Jobs that used to be occupied by high school and college students are being transformed into living wage jobs.

Perhaps the increase in service industry minimum wage, the increased cost of new loans, killing off poultry, created fertilizer shortage, unusually high instances of food processing plant fires and etc.

It's the new normal:(
Unfortunately it probably is the new norm.
McDonalds had a sign out front,
”Now Hiring, $16 an hour to start, flexible schedule“
The sign now reads, $18 to start.

I could comment extensively on the subject but it could get controversial very quickly so I won't. Suffice it to say that raising minimum wages will eventually raise wages all up and down the pay scale. The only losers in the game will be those of us on fixed incomes.
Your point is spot on sir. ( Imho )

When I was a green engineer at HP back in 1970, we had to turn in expense reports and I normally lost the receipts and created a fuss. An older and wiser engineer told me to do what he did…use the 2 4 8 plan. He explained, just estimate, breakfast $2, lunch $4, dinner $8. I recall thinking “how could anybody spend $8 on dinner. He’s cheating the company.”

Those were the good old days.

Back