Getting the new knee mill off the pallet

I just need to lift the mill high enough to get some pipes under so I can move the mill around. The biggest issue is getting the pallet off from under

Unfortunately, the PM835S can NOT be rolled on pipes. The base is not flat. Only the outer 8" at each end of the of the long side of the base is on the floor. There's a ~¾" scallop cut out between the "feet. The short side is 20", with the same scallop and 5" "feet." Several of the photos in my post at https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/base-feet-for-a-bridgeport.1362/page-2 show the scallop.

PS - the two round "cross holes" are about 2 ⅝" diameter. The casting sides around the holes are somewhat reinforced, and there is no barrier between them. My best guess is that the foundry used a modified forklift with round forks to lift and move the base castings.

Last edited:
I'll just use a johnson bar to move it towards the wall. Moving it won't be too big of an issue with a johnson bar. It'll only be a few feet away from where they'll set the crate to where its permanent position will be

Unfortunately, the PM835S can NOT be rolled on pipes. The base is not flat. Only the outer 8" at each end of the of the long side of the base is on the floor. There's a ~¾" scallop cut out between the "feet. The short side is 20", with the same scallop and 5" "feet." I'll get some photos a bit later, busy right now.

PS - the two round "cross holes" are about 2 ⅝" diameter. The casting sides around the holes are somewhat reinforced, and there is no barrier between them. My best guess is that the foundry used a modified forklift with round forks to lift and move the base castings.
Both mills that I moved that way have the same scallop. Actually, it makes it a little safer because you're less likely to roll the mill off the pipe(s). I'm pretty sure most mills have that kind of recess. Unless you're talking about something different, Ted's photo on Post #14 shows the same recess as is on my mill. It can be done with either one or two pipes: roll it as far as you can, use the toe clamp to lift one side, reposition the pipe, repeat as often as necessary to get it where you want it.

Regards

It is surprisingly easy to move large machines around on pipes. I wouldn't think that the scalloped area would be too much of a problem with large enough diameter pipes. I moved a 1900 lb surface grinder with (3) 3' sections of 3/4" black gas pipe. Just rolled it into position then lifted it slightly with a pry bar, took the front pipe out and slipped some wooden blocks under the front and sides and left the pipe under the back in case I want to move it again.

I hope the delivery guy can get the crate into my garage. On the PM site, it says the crate is 80" tall. I just measured the floor to the lowest part of my garage door opening and it's at 81.5".

I hope the delivery guy can get the crate into my garage. On the PM site, it says the crate is 80" tall. I just measured the floor to the lowest part of my garage door opening and it's at 81.5".

Count on it being dropped off in the driveway then, you may have to get it off the palate just to get into the garage.

John

May not fit once it is lifted with the pallet jack. Some garage doors can roll up a little higher if they are disconnected from the drive system and manually pushed up a little more. If the driver is nice he may wait a minute for you to buzz the top of the crate off with a circular saw, then it would probably fit.

Back