Gear drive Chinese Mill 3 phase

Harry Knutz

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello,

If the 24 volt transformer goes bad, Does that knock out all power to everything? I am unsure of what the transformer does. If I push in the left 2 magnetic switches one at a time the mill will run in either direction. But I get no response from any switches at the control panel. The mill has a power up and down for the head, None of that works either.

The contactor and transformer are sensitive to the 3-phase going in. You must have the true phases powering the controls, if the generated leg is feeding them, they won't latch. Swap your phases and see if that does it.

The transformer provides low voltage power for the contractor coils and switch circuits.
Do you have three phase power from the grid or are you using a Rotary Phase Converter or VFD to convert single phase? If the latter, you want the transformer powered from the single phase input, not after the phase conversion.

The transformer provides low voltage power for the contractor coils and switch circuits.
Do you have three phase power from the grid or are you using a Rotary Phase Converter or VFD to convert single phase? If the latter, you want the transformer powered from the single phase input, not after the phase conversion.
I am using a Phase-A-Matic static phase converter, I will try swapping wires to see if that helps.

The Align power feed works fine, The main power switch was bad, Before I replaced that, Nothing worked at all and the static phase converter did not click in, after changing the power switch, The phase converter clicks in now and the power feed works.

The contactor and transformer are sensitive to the 3-phase going in. You must have the true phases powering the controls, if the generated leg is feeding them, they won't latch. Swap your phases and see if that does it.
Sounds good, Going to try that, Thanks

If the transformer is configurable for 220 volts input it should be. The power for it should come from the two main 220 volt lines in your shop, the same power that feeds your phase converter
-M

If the transformer is configurable for 220 volts input it should be. The power for it should come from the two main 220 volt lines in your shop, the same power that feeds your phase converter
-M
Thanks, I will look inside my box to figure out which 2 those are, I am hoping it's that simple!

The transformer provides the power to the contactors which are controlled by the switches. If you are using a static converter, it has L1 and L2 typically are direct pass through, it does not create a 3rd phase per se, it is just a capacitor. If you do not connect the transformer the the pass through power, then nothing will work. It should be marked on the static converter as to the pseudo 3rd leg. Trace the wires that feed the transformer back and make sure they are getting the pass through power A and C. The power feed is single phase.

1685289911743.png

The transformer provides the power to the contactors which are controlled by the switches. If you are using a static converter, it has L1 and L2 typically are direct pass through, it does not create a 3rd phase per se, it is just a capacitor. If you do not connect the transformer the the pass through power, then nothing will work. It should be marked on the static converter as to the pseudo 3rd leg. Trace the wires that feed the transformer back and make sure they are getting the pass through power A and C. The power feed is single phase.

View attachment 449263
Thank you everyone! I am leaving for a few days, I will report back when I get home and check the wiring config.

Back