Future Home of Rustorcreationd by Charley Davidson

As far as getting your structure on the cheap, what are you needing to end up with? It might be possible to take it in stages. That won't guarantee the cheapest building in the end, but allows use of the building (once erected) in between stages. It allows you to save up piece at a time if you want to do it without loans, too. Also, in your area can you dig a hole 3 foot deep without blasting through 2 feet of rock? You might exhibit the mad picking skills you have honed on used machinery and obtain the free, steel free span building of your dreams, but if not, there is going to be a lot more laying around in the way of free/cheap used pole barn tin. A caution on "recycled lumber", it is often costlier than new to tear it down, pluck the nails, and cut it into something usable. Dismantling a pole barn would be more doable than residential type framing if you had to tear it down to get the tin anyway. A further caution on the rainbow building, you will never paint it and it will be ugly as all hell. Mine is:)). I look forward to hearing what the end result needs to be. I can help devise a strategy to get there.

As far as getting your structure on the cheap, what are you needing to end up with? It might be possible to take it in stages. That won't guarantee the cheapest building in the end, but allows use of the building (once erected) in between stages. It allows you to save up piece at a time if you want to do it without loans, too. Also, in your area can you dig a hole 3 foot deep without blasting through 2 feet of rock? You might exhibit the mad picking skills you have honed on used machinery and obtain the free, steel free span building of your dreams, but if not, there is going to be a lot more laying around in the way of free/cheap used pole barn tin. A caution on "recycled lumber", it is often costlier than new to tear it down, pluck the nails, and cut it into something usable. Dismantling a pole barn would be more doable than residential type framing if you had to tear it down to get the tin anyway. A further caution on the rainbow building, you will never paint it and it will be ugly as all hell. Mine is:)). I look forward to hearing what the end result needs to be. I can help devise a strategy to get there.

Im doing that same thing, building in stages. So far all the "red iron" has set me back $900. ( its 18x 20) To skin it and trim it is going.to run in the $1000 neighborhood.

Jake Parker

I probably won't start any construction for a year as I need to pay the place off first ( I really want to live mortgage free). I think I'll probably go around 30x40 and I'm already eye balling a couple buildings that I think may be needing tore down for future development.
I think one had already disappeared. I'll also be collecting building materials in the mean time.

I'm still supporting the idea of shipping containers.
When you'll build something else, you can integrate them in the building or just resell them (or transform them into a metal mine…).

If you can drill holes for a pole barn, there is probably your cheapest option. You can recycle about everything but the posts, and you can use telephone poles for that if they are cheap or free. The tapered ones are a bit of a trick in the corners, but do able. If you run your trusses 4' on center you can lay your purlins flat and use a nail gun on them. Any further and your purlins are stacked on edge, usually with 60 penny spikes driven through them into your trusses. Not fun new, but into seasoned yellow pine would really suck. if you are going to finish the inside, I would ditch the pole barn walls and set the trusses on stud walls that will hold siding on the outside and sheetrock on the inside. However you go I'm sure we'll like it almost as much as you.

Well here is what my boy is up to 100 X 80 built behind the shop. Now all truses up this week roof skin.

oh good job Charley

118-1823_IMG.JPG

Great buy Charlie- At least to me it appears to be.
Is that a good price for that area? Here in Australia where I am, most places on the east coast, would be way more expensive. ie 40 klm inland, land of that area would be in excess of $200K.
all the best
bollie7

I checked just now some real estate websites for prices in my area.
We are around 275 euro a square metre (more or less $1,500,000/acre) for lots on the hills, 20 minutes of car from the beach.

Update on the new place.

I have been pretty busy cleaning up the place along with tremendous help from my ex wife of 30 years, We scrubbed it from stem to stern, I replaced the bedroom carpet with linoleum and the bath, replaced the toilet, fixed some pluming leaks, scrubbed years of nicotine off the walls and ceiling & cleaned the never before cleaned windows. I've mowed 3 times with a push mower but you couldn't have slapped the grin off my face knowing it was my very own place. I have not stayed there yet though.

Outside I pressure washed the trailer but not a great result due to using what basically amounts to an electric super soaker for a pressure washer. It cleaned the easy stuff and does look better though. I killed some weeds around the trailer and mulched areas to improve the landscaping, raked all the leaves behind the trailer in preparation for a patio.

My biggest news is I purchased the contents of a storage unit at auction where my shop is, I got a ton of new lumber, enough 12" wide cedar 16' long to completely side my small shed, enough treated lumber to build a front porch on it and a lean too on the back, enough 1x6 tongue & groove bead board to panel the interior walls (or at least close) I was able to sell some other stuff out of that unit to recoup my money and pocket $180 & I still have 2 prehung interior doors to sell, about 40' of oak hand rail, bottom rail (both plowed with fillet), 5 newel posts, 1 box newel & decorative metal balusters all brand new, plus a concrete stamp and color hardner.

I bought out most of a second unit from a friend for $150 that included a table saw, radial arm saw, a 5K electric start generator, and tons of cabinet making lumber (oak, walnut, cherry & poplar) mostly stuff that will make lots of craft type items but a couple thousand dollars worth of those type of things.

I have to move the building before I can start on it as it is setting on the property line if not over the line. I plan to make it reminiscent of my Dad's shop.

I've been researching concrete prices and planning (in my head) my shop space. The property will be paid off in 8 months or less then I'll start on the big shop.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the pile of lumber I got

DSC01952.JPG DSC01948.JPG clean (13).JPG clean (11).JPG clean (10).JPG clean (9).JPG clean (8).JPG clean (7).JPG clean (6).JPG clean (5).JPG clean (3).JPG clean (2).JPG clean (1).JPG back yard.JPG lumber pile (7).JPG lumber pile (6).JPG lumber pile (5).JPG lumber pile (4).JPG lumber pile (3).JPG lumber pile (2).JPG lumber pile (1).JPG

Back