Found this old South Bend lathe and it followed me home

wow, evapo rust at tractor supply, it was 17.99 last time I bought it, now 24.99... I really wonder if all this inflation isn't some companies just taking advantage of things. And it's becoming self feeding.

I looked at the first post that made you think I dunked it in evaporust. yea, I wasn't clear.
I did the TSP.
I did the MS or WD40

I WOULD do evapo rust (at that time I didn't) The reason I had plenty of MS and WD from trying to degrease it. When I found the TSP was doing an excellent job I just hit it with either of the others. For the mill, and surface grinder I wound up using citri strip and evapo rust.
I did not like the mess for the citristrip, the boiling and tsp was way easier, better. But it was winter and I had no way to boil it indoors. It needs to be done outside.

So how is the boiling and TSP working? That's great having a 55 gallon drum. I now have one, didn't way back then.The burner from the fryer .... excellent. I'll have to steal that idea.

I went out and picked up 3 gal's of kerosene at $5.22 a gal to use to get the bulk of the dirt...

Next time, just get diesel instead of kerosene - it's significantly cheaper and is basically the same as kerosene.

Well it's not really a 55-gal drum it's much smaller than that. It's what we used to call a 30LB drum that gear oil came in. It's 30" tall and around 18" wide. Using the smaller drum, it doesn't take as much solution, and you still can get a lot of parts in there at the same time. All I have left to disassemble is the headstock and the gear box and as I said before I'll hold off on them until I get the rest cleaned and painted. It takes a lot of room to lay all this stuff out and once it's painted, I don't want it laying around all over the place. Stuff like this gets lost really easy.

Oh, and yes, the TSP works really well It takes just about everything off and what don't come off in the wash gets knocked off easily with a small wire brush. In fact, it even takes most of the paint off. I only blasted a few places on some of the pieces that the paint really was stuck on. I'm not using a really course material in the blast cabinet it's almost like a powder, I believe it's like 220 grit aluminum oxide.

Been busy for a few days and wanted to get back with what's been going on. I got in a bit of a hurry and decided to put my Apron back together to make room so I could tear down the gear box. I thought that two days was enough time for the paint to be tough enough to work with. It's been cold here and the shop cools down a little at night which means the paint takes longer to cure. I was trying to be really careful but while putting it back together the paint got a little soiled and left some marks in places. I may be able to touch it up a bit but if that don't work, I guess I'll just have to tear it down and start over.

I started on the gear box and right away I ran in to a small problem. A lock pin on one of the gear shafts would not come out. I think someone had tried to get it out and tried to drive it out the wrong way. I banged on it for a while and decided that it probably won't going to come out the easy way so I ground a flat on the collar in hopes to remove some of the burrs and be able to tell which end to drive out. On one side I could see where the pin was but on the other side there is no sign of the pin anywhere. I ground a little more and still no trace of the pin could be found so I guess I'll have to drill the pin out. The side I can see appears to be the big end, so it isn't coming out that way.

I guess now I'm wondering where the best place is to get parts like this. I called Grizzley the other day and waited on the phone for 45 minutes and still didn't get anyone on the phone. This is like everything else I try to fix I spend more time on the net trying to find the stuff needed than it takes to fix what I'm working on. I checked e-bay and I found one of those nuts for the tailstock and the guy wanted $30 for it plus $11.00 for shipping. I'm wondering now if I wouldn't be better off just parting this thing out rather than trying to go through the the trouble and time trying to find the few things that I need to replace. Is there any other place besides Grizzley and e-bay that may have parts for these things?

Been busy for a few days and wanted to get back with what's been going on. I got in a bit of a hurry and decided to put my Apron back together to make room so I could tear down the gear box. I thought that two days was enough time for the paint to be tough enough to work with. It's been cold here and the shop cools down a little at night which means the paint takes longer to cure. I was trying to be really careful but while putting it back together the paint got a little soiled and left some marks in places. I may be able to touch it up a bit but if that don't work, I guess I'll just have to tear it down and start over.

I started on the gear box and right away I ran in to a small problem. A lock pin on one of the gear shafts would not come out. I think someone had tried to get it out and tried to drive it out the wrong way. I banged on it for a while and decided that it probably won't going to come out the easy way so I ground a flat on the collar in hopes to remove some of the burrs and be able to tell which end to drive out. On one side I could see where the pin was but on the other side there is no sign of the pin anywhere. I ground a little more and still no trace of the pin could be found so I guess I'll have to drill the pin out. The side I can see appears to be the big end, so it isn't coming out that way.

I guess now I'm wondering where the best place is to get parts like this. I called Grizzley the other day and waited on the phone for 45 minutes and still didn't get anyone on the phone. This is like everything else I try to fix I spend more time on the net trying to find the stuff needed than it takes to fix what I'm working on. I checked e-bay and I found one of those nuts for the tailstock and the guy wanted $30 for it plus $11.00 for shipping. I'm wondering now if I wouldn't be better off just parting this thing out rather than trying to go through the the trouble and time trying to find the few things that I need to replace. Is there any other place besides Grizzley and e-bay that may have parts for these things?
ebay.. if you can find a part that matches, buy it.

some people do make some after market parts. There were guys making parts when I rebuilt mine, I bought a threading dial, it's been great.
Some people make gears...
Some acme screws and nuts.

Back