Found me a nice Jet JVM-836-3

Here's the version 2.0 install where I addressed the concerns. I flipped it upright, and installed a chip deflector over the top. I think the camera angle makes everything look closer to the floor than it actually is. There is actually 14" clearance from the bottom of the VFD to the floor. I plan to try this setup and keep an eye out for problems and consider an enclosure if necessary. I want to keep the VFD attached to the mill because of the relatively tight location I had to place it. (still want to be able to park my car in the garage. :))) This way if I have a large workpiece, I can use my pallet jack and the 13' power cord to bring the mill out to the open garage floor temporarily. Please excuse the Rube Goldberg looking conduit standpipe, I wanted to retain the mill's original flex conduit going to the motor for aesthetic reasons so I needed to address the flex cable being too short to reach the VFD when mounted upright.
20141025_191521_zps4c3e307c.jpg

20141025_191521_zps4c3e307c.jpg

That's better! I don't think that conduit will quite meet code, but it will work just fine.:whistle:

Keep an eye on the chips.

I would still get a box. I've done a few VFD installs and I've always been able to find either an old alarm, sprinkler controller, or electrical box. I like to mount the VFD with the face poking through the front, but everything else inside. It takes some measuring and careful cutting, but that's what you got the mill for, right? Also, I'll usually drill holes and puts screens in the top and bottom for air so if there are already a few holes, it's no problem.
IMG_2697.JPG
IMG_2699.JPG

IMG_2697.JPG IMG_2699.JPG

Look what followed me home...

Made in Taiwan, not too big, not too small, appears to have been used on aluminum exclusively. A used 3/4 knee mill within my start up budget. I'm happy.

Just need to decide on a suitable VFD, add some basic tooling, plug her in, and go!

View attachment 85995

Looks Great! I use a JTM4VS at work. I wish it had the DRO & table feed.

Right now I have a new X-powerfeed on order ....

Chip - Which power feed did you go with? Any issues bolting it up? I am in the market for one, just not sure if std Bridgeport size will fit or not.

I bought my 8x36 earlier last summer. Way better than my ole mill drill.:))

Chip - Which power feed did you go with? Any issues bolting it up? I am in the market for one, just not sure if std Bridgeport size will fit or not.

I bought my 8x36 earlier last summer. Way better than my ole mill drill.:))

I bought the cheapest Bridgeport power feed at Enco and it bolted right on.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=31229690&PMAKA=404-3045

However, this replaced a broken import power feed from the previous owner, and this one is essentially it's clone in design. I could not tell you if the previous owner had needed to do any mods to get the original one to fit.

Thanks Chip. It was the end cap that I was wondering about bolting up.

The cast aluminum bracket that mounts to the table was an exact fit.

The cast aluminum bracket that mounts to the table was an exact fit.

Hey Chip -
If you have an extra bracket/endplate I would be interested in it. I bought the Enco powerfeed and it sure appears to be too wide. I don't know, maybe they changed the bolt pattern on the mill ... mine is an '03 version.

Ed

20141016_181913_zps095eb0a4.jpg
This is the one I took off. If you think it will help you let me know. I should have it around somewhere.

20141016_181913_zps095eb0a4.jpg

Back