Flux core mig welder

The 110 fluxcore units shine, in the field making repairs without having to lug a cylinder around on light material. I absolutely love my snapon, and it has the ability to run gas or not. Thats what I would look for when choosing one of this type, very versatile. Usually .030 size wire is the limit for these machines, so your not gonna have a lot of deposition, look at duty cycle, and available consumables if you're gonna be using it a lot.

Those inexpensive flux core welders can do a lot. I didn't upgrade mine till I had to MIG some 1/2 inch material. But, for doing 1/8 or thinner steel, they really get the job done. My original was a Tractor Supply Company 110v welder, and used it to do most of my welds on the 10 Gauge 2 inch square tube table I made for my milling machine. The table/bench is stout, and I have full faith in the welds it was made with.

I picked up an Amico stick/MIG/Flux-Core wire weld/DC TIG. It works even better (it is a 110/220v model, usually I run it off 110v, unless I need to do thick stuff. Recently I picked up a YesWelder MP200 welder, which does all the things the Amico does, plus Plasma cutting. It was a gift for my stepson, who is attending welding school.
.My point is if you buy a welder that runs on 110v in many cases you outgrew it the minute you plugged it in. Most buy them thinking that they can now weld 3/16-1/4-3/8" thick steel. At best you'll do 1/8" and only if you prepare the surface correctly. That applies (including myself) to buying a 6" swing lathe, or a small bench top mill, you find you need more capacity right away as with many other tools. Unless you knew the type of work you would do, and did your research. This is only my opinion, but do the research and buy the biggest you can afford or you're wasting your time and money. I may sound harsh, but it's true. Thanks.

I have owned a Lincoln TIG200 for a number of years now and it has been reliable, so there is that.
I just bought a YesWelder ProMig 250, but have very little time on it yet. Their 205DS is a multi-process and dual voltage. There are a ton of positive reviews on YouTube from independent folks. YesWelder 205DS. I found a 20% coupon when I ordered mine. I should point out that this one only has a 1-year warranty.
If I was going to do it over, I probably would have gone with the Primeweld series, mostly because of the 3-year warranty and the number of positive reviews. You would spend about the same on a Primeweld as you will on a Lincoln but the Primeweld, just like the YesWelder, gives you dual voltage and multiprocess. PrimeWeld MTS200
Another option is Eastwood. I have read a lot of positive reviews about them too. https://www.eastwood.com/welders/mig-welders.html

I am not intending to drive you away from Lincoln, but just pointing out that there are many other options out there that offer a lot for your money. The Lincoln 140 is made in Mexico whereas all the others are made in China, so having a reputable company such as Primeweld is important.
I have been looking at the YesWelder ProMig250. For $500 you get quite the package. I have watched numerous reviews on the ProMig 250 and all are glowing but one. I watched one on the PrimeWeld and that reviewer extolled its' virtues. It is $250 more than the Yeswelder, but, the extra 2 years on the warranty might make it worth it.

Started OA and stick welding in high school, lots of stick welding at Motorola catch building assorted tower hardware.

About 10 ago got a Miller mig 180, great machine but metal needs to be clean.

A couple years ago got a made in Poland Lincoln Flux might for 5 bucks, a little fixing and it works well.

One needs to know the limitations, the Lincoln works on 120 vac and is very handy for repairs within its capacity.

Repaired the log splitter where we were welding 1 inch plate, the Miller works well, we milled out pockets at the interlocking places where the parts met, bolted everything that had bolts and aligned the rest, tacked, checked then at full plastic filled the trenches and came out good.

Next is some sort of tig someday...

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

.My point is if you buy a welder that runs on 110v in many cases you outgrew it the minute you plugged it in. Most buy them thinking that they can now weld 3/16-1/4-3/8" thick steel. At best you'll do 1/8" and only if you prepare the surface correctly. That applies (including myself) to buying a 6" swing lathe, or a small bench top mill, you find you need more capacity right away as with many other tools. Unless you knew the type of work you would do, and did your research. This is only my opinion, but do the research and buy the biggest you can afford or you're wasting your time and money. I may sound harsh, but it's true. Thanks.
Absolutely, depends on what you want it to do. At my shop in Michigan I have a Miller 220v unit with gas. I bought the little HF unit I have here because I know there will be a day when I have to do a quick repair and can only find 110v where I am.

I'm a hack and long ago learned the value of finding a qualified weldor for anything that really matters. I learned on Oxyacetylene with my dad and can still stick metal together with it, when I retire I hope to get good with that and TIG. But for now I know my limitations and can't justify a $2400 machine for my needs, also my shop is small so a light small inverter unit is my choice. There are so many good options our there why not have a little 6" lathe and a 14x40 if you have the space....

John

I have on old 100 amp 110 v Airco mig on argon with .022 wire. Works good up to about .090.

Also have Horrible Freight 170 amp 220 v flux unit with "the mod". Use it for up to 1/2 thick with pass from each side. Have run about 2 spools per year thru it (2lb), and like it a lot. I keep .030 & .035 wire in stock. With good flux wire and anti splatter it isn't bad for cleanup. Only disadvantage to flux is the extra smoke/smell.

in this late. i own one of said lincolns however i have several machines. i got the lincoln initially to do some welding on a roof top as it is essentially portable. i use it a fair amount for quick jobs not close to another machine. i'd be hard pressed to use it as a primary welder though but you could get by with it for smaller jobs

which brings me to something else.

i have a widowed cousin in pittsburgh. her deceased husband was an iron worker and had a business for awhile until it went belly up. she is getting her house ready to put on the market and there are 4 or 5 welders there she needs to find new owners for. is there a way to get the info out on them here without paying for it? this is not my stuff.

which brings me to something else.

i have a widowed cousin in pittsburgh. her deceased husband was an iron worker and had a business for awhile until it went belly up. she is getting her house ready to put on the market and there are 4 or 5 welders there she needs to find new owners for. is there a way to get the info out on them here without paying for it? this is not my stuff.
post a list of what you have and what voltage and are any 3 phase.

Back