Flux core mig welder

Having only used flux core maybe twice, it's a new game for me.
Gotcha. So having the gas option means you don’t have to use flux core if you end up not liking the new game. I always prefer to have options when possible.

Gotcha. So having the gas option means you don’t have to use flux core if you end up not liking the new game. I always prefer to have options when possible.
Exactly how I feel.

Having only used flux core maybe twice, it's a new game for me.
The thing flux has going for it you don’t need the nozzle so it’s like stick welding in that you don’t have to see around around a nozzle.

The thing flux has going for it you don’t need the nozzle so it’s like stick welding in that you don’t have to see around around a nozzle.
What about these plastic nozzles for flux core wire I'm reading about?

What about these plastic nozzles for flux core wire I'm reading about?
It’s more ceramic. It’s just a little tip that protects the nozzle threads from spatter. Very small.

It’s more ceramic. It’s just a little tip that protects the nozzle threads from spatter. Very small.
Ok, so there is a ceramic nozzle available. I had read about plastic nozzles melting, which stands to reason.

Ok, so there is a ceramic nozzle available. I had read about plastic nozzles melting, which stands to reason.
Yup, and they are not expensive, or they weren’t when I got mine. I like flux because it’s so low maintenance. No empty tanks, no futzing with regulators etc.

Mostly comes down to what you're using it for. When I had my kart racing company I carried a cheap HF flux core in the trailer and it saved many a race weekend. I'm a hack at welding so I've just recently bought another HF (Titanium Easy Flux 125) which I suspect will meet my needs just fine. If you have more money you can always get better, I just couldn't stand not having a Mig around incase I need to make a quick repair.

John

I hear the Primeweld MIG 180 is pretty good. The company has great customer service.

No experience with Lincoln, but I used a Hobart 140 for quite a few years. I changed to a Miller 211 more recently and sold the Hobart to a buddy. I have an argon tank (mostly for the TIG), but I have always used both MIGs with flux-core. I like being able to switch it on, weld up a small bracket, or do a big job, then shut it down without dealing with the gas. I do use the argon with a spoolgun for aluminum.

There is a bit more spatter cleanup, but anti-spatter spray can help with that if the job requires it.

Back