Flux core mig welder

I have an old Millermatic 130 110V MIG. Works well but I’d like a little more power for thicker material.
If I was in the market for a new MIG I’d definitely go for the Primeweld 180.
I have only good experiences with my Primeweld TIG 225, and their customer service is simply outstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an old Millermatic 130 110V MIG. Works well but I’d like a little more power for thicker material.
If I was in the market for a new MIG I’d definitely go for the Primeweld 180.
I have only good experiences with my Primeweld TIG 225, and their customer service is simply outstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never heard of Primeweld until this thread. Seems like a heck of a deal with a spoolgun included for around $600! Never really needed to weld aluminum until recently and it seems my old Lincoln 175 can’t take a spoolgun :( I definitely like the idea of a multiprocess welder in a small format and folks seem to like them….uh oh…..

Never heard of Primeweld until this thread. Seems like a heck of a deal with a spoolgun included for around $600! Never really needed to weld aluminum until recently and it seems my old Lincoln 175 can’t take a spoolgun :( I definitely like the idea of a multiprocess welder in a small format and folks seem to like them….uh oh…..
I've had one of their TIG 225 welders for a couple years now. Love the machine. I have a Hobart 175 that I'd like to keep as a flux core welder and then add another MIG with gas. Waiting for Primeweld to come out with something bigger than a 180 amp machine. They've been promising a new one for a bit now.

That is good to know David. I have been looking at their plasma cutter (65 I think) but will have to hold off now since I just bought a mill.

Would like your take on flux core mig welders. I'm looking at a Lincoln 140 that plugs in to a 115 outlet. I've welder most of my life. Arc, mig and tig. Anything from little parts to 300 amp spray arc transfer, but I'm not totally sold on these type of welders. I want something from my home shop, but don't want to invest 2K.
I have to put my 2 cents in and would, If possible stay away from 110 units. For flux core I use a Lincoln 155 /220v welder and it is a very good unit. Excellent penetration with this welder, never had a problem. Charlie

My small box Lincoln Welder is rarely used. The 30% duty cycle at 130 amp is really low for 240v machine. On the other hand, a Snapon FM140 is much bigger, 120 volt, with 100% duty cycle at 140 amp. I used it most of the time.

I also have another Lincoln 240 volt, wirematic 255. It is very good machine for thick material. However, due to age or what I don't know, but low range doesn't work well.

For 140 amp, I would look for 115v machine that is better made and lower cost.

Or if you only look for a single large machine that handle it all, then stay away from 140 amp obviously.

Good luck.

Update: I just saw you already got a machine. Congrats!

Last edited:
My small box Lincoln Welder is rarely used. The 30% duty cycle at 130 amp is really low for 240v machine. On the other hand, a Snapon FM140 is much bigger, 120 volt, with 100% duty cycle at 140 amp. I used it most of the time.

I also have another Lincoln 240 volt, idealarc 250. It is very good machine for thick material. However, due to age or what I don't know, but low range doesn't work well.

For 140 amp, I would look for 115v machine that is better made and lower cost.

Or if you only look for a single large machine that handle it all, then stay away from 140 amp obviously.

Good luck.

Update: I just saw you already got a machine. Congrats!
Hi, I also have a Idealarc 250/250 220v. AC/DC Lincoln (dog house) welder that works as it should and is my go to welder for heavy work. When I do stick weld I run Lincoln Fleeweld 47 (7014). My mig is a 255 wire-matic that I use most every day. I don't know what your primary use would be, but I would consider a stick machine if cleaning slag is not a problem for you.

Last edited:
Hi, I also have a Idealarc 250/250 220v. AC/DC Lincoln (dog house) welder that works as it should and is my go to welder for heavy work. When I do stick weld I run Lincoln Fleeweld 47 (7014). My mig is a 255 wire-matic that I use most every day. I don't know what your primary use would be, but I would consider a stick machine if cleaning slag is not a problem for you.

My machine is a Lincohn wirematic, not ideal Arc, thanks to your message. I knew something was off with my orig message. I don't weld every day. Just hobby stuff.
I used to have a well-known Lincohn ac dc tombstone welder. It is very heavy and without wheels, hard to move around. I used it for stick weld. However, I was not impressed somehow, and sold it.

Those inexpensive flux core welders can do a lot. I didn't upgrade mine till I had to MIG some 1/2 inch material. But, for doing 1/8 or thinner steel, they really get the job done. My original was a Tractor Supply Company 110v welder, and used it to do most of my welds on the 10 Gauge 2 inch square tube table I made for my milling machine. The table/bench is stout, and I have full faith in the welds it was made with.

I picked up an Amico stick/MIG/Flux-Core wire weld/DC TIG. It works even better (it is a 110/220v model, usually I run it off 110v, unless I need to do thick stuff. Recently I picked up a YesWelder MP200 welder, which does all the things the Amico does, plus Plasma cutting. It was a gift for my stepson, who is attending welding school.

Back