Fixturing and toolpaths for noobs

Ok I made a cut -- a simple bracket for a control box attachment, and used the sequence you recommended. This short video shows how much material is being removed by a 2-flute .25" mill, and ends with a Tormach SuperFly wreaking havoc:

I have another tool path question. I am trying to machine a simple shape, 2x2" square 6061, 10" long. It will be a hitch recovery (tow) point. The left (far) end will take a steel shackle, the right (front) end will get a rope (soft shackle) so it should have rounded edges to prevent damage to the rope.

Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 7.51.57 AM.png
What operation should I use for the filleted hole on the right? I was planning to use a HSS ball end mill.

More detail of the top part:

Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 7.47.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 7.47.05 AM.png

A ball or bull nose endmill would work. But I might use a corner rounding endmill or router bit if there is enough clearance in the hole.

A ball or bull nose endmill would work. But I might use a corner rounding endmill or router bit if there is enough clearance in the hole.

I am going to take a look at my roundover bits for their radius, etc. What 3D operation do you suggest? As it stands I am configured for adaptive clearing with flat nose mill followed by a 3D contour with a ballend. IS there a better operation? I tried several, some (e.g. "Flow") gave empty toolpaths .

Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 8.13.35 AM.png

I might try a spiral tool path. I have used that one before for similar shapes.

Plunge a corner rounding cutter into the hole like a countersink.

Back