First Snow...

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
This year, I plunked down $800 for a snowblower over at Lowe's (Troybilt 2490 Storm).

We hadn't had any snow, but I suspected we were in for some real soon. I never used a snowblower before, but this fall, I bought a Troybilt 2840 Storm over at Lowe's, and an Eagle 5 gallon gas can. Never had any experience with gas engines. This afternoon, I gassed her up and tried her out. Second pull, she started up and the drive yanked me out of my shoes down the driveway.

Tonight, comes the snow....a wet mess that is tumbling down fast, it's as it they knew that I had the snowblower ready to go.

Last Monday I was up to let the dogs out at 6:30am and there was a mist in the air. When I took them back out at 10:30am there was 3" on the ground.

You've just started on the downhill slide of getting to know gas engines, next it'll be a generator.

I need to learn about gas engines. My boss knows about them. He has a generator because he lives in a place where the power goes out all the time.
(Yes, that happens in some places in NYC still!)

I live in the heart of a fairly big city outside of Dayton OH in a pretty nice neighborhood and have lost power once for 9 days (hurricane Ike) and once for 7 days (ice storm) and could see the lights on at the neighbors house across the street both times. I installed a transfer switch with a generator plug in on day 7 of the 9 day outage (after we had to toss all the food in the freezer and refrigerator in the garbage).

Nels, please take this in the right way, but I really don't like your avatar picture. Not sure why but that previous one seemed more appropriate to me.

David

Sorry, David. It represented how I feel sometimes...and except for the eyes, it does look like me.

I am glad to have some clock guys on here. I was learning how to repair clocks, but drifted. I need to get back to it, and a lot of other stuff...

That looks like a nice snow blower. As a suggestion make up a piece of broomstick with a loop of rope (for hanging) to keep with the blower to clear the chute if it jams with snow. Fingers are not good in such places. Some guys spray the chute with cooking spray if the snow is real sticky. We had a good storm just before Christmas. Ended up with a total of 2 feet out of this storm. The lawn was green or mostly brown just the day before. Enjoy your snow blowing. This is looking across the street from my place.
Dave
WP_20151214_12_14_12_Pro.jpg

A guy I used to work with in a machine shop lost four fingers on his right hand clearing debris from his two stage snow blower. He didn't disconnect the spark plug before rotating the front blade to reach whatever it was and the engine started. Always disconnect the spark plug wire!

This is the one I got

I better figure out where the spark plug is.

Back