First Attempt Tig Welding Razor Blades Together

GarageGuy

Active User
Registered
I always thought this would be a fun exercise, but never tried it until tonight. Two razor blades welded edge to edge. It wasn't a complete success, or a complete failure. I didn't have much luck with the ends. Maybe I can blame it on extra thin Chinese razor blades? :grin: I was happy with it for a first try. Running between 9 and 13 amps with .040 thoriated tungsten.

GG

blades.jpg

Not bad, not bad at all. :encourage:

Sharpen your tungston, sharp! Run your tig on D.C.+ this keeps more heat on your tungsten and try 5-7 amps.

I didn't think of running DCEP, I was using DCEN. My machine will only go down to 9 amps. :( I used a copper sheet under the blades, but they were laying loose on the sheet. If I clamped them or used a copper weight to hold them down better, that would probably help improve the weld too.

GG

OK, I made a pair of "third hand" tools to help keep the blades tight together while I attempt to weld them. I had a piece of copper plated ground rod in my metal stash. You know... the kind you get if you're too cheap to buy a solid copper ground rod for your house. The weights are 1 1/2" 1018 ground polished finish, and pressed fitted onto the ground rod so they don't slide around. I MIG'ed the joint in the ground rod.

third hands.jpg

Then I tried welding the blades again, and had slightly better results.

blades2.jpg

Guess I better not quit my day job just yet!

GG

The utility knife blades are .023 thick, while HF Chinese single edge razor blades are .009 thick. I always use +2.00 cheater glasses under my welding hood. My eyes aren't as good as they used to be.

I haven't tried a corner weld either. All my attempts are butt or lap welds so far. I'll have to try a corner weld and see if it works better for me. I'm so easily amused...

GG

Tell me at least you guys are welding used blades.:)

Back