First Aluminum Weld Project

My welding experience is similar, without the MIG unit... being in the heating and AC business, I braze CU tubing regularly.

I would like to get a TIG machine someday... was looking at an Everlast a while back... Would appreciate your thoughts on the one you got.

THX

GA

Ga, I will give you my opinion at a later date. I am certainly not qualified to make any judgement on the machine at this point, not having any experience with tig welders at all. Looks cool if that counts for anything, plus it didn't break the bank as compared to the red and blue machines.

Welds look good Franko.
I just discovered that Esab now makes a box that does TIG, Stick and MIG. Never seen that before.
R

Hi Franco, I have been welding light gauge alloy for some years find it much harder to deal with than heavy gauge alloy that I am now welding, I started with a 180 ac/dc to make aircraft panels and after much stressing and translating of German to English I managed to get some reasonable looking welds. I have since found my problem was treating the TIG like a Oxy/Acetylene torch and attempting to get to too much penetration which resulted in a much wider weld than necessary and therefore far more heat in the surrounding panels causing distortion.
Like all welding the parts to be welded MUST be clean and fit with as little gap as possible (perfect), the extra filler rod causes more shrinkage as it cools and exerts more stresses of the finished panel.
You must get the heat into the tack weld join it together and get the torch away as soon as you can, I find I count as I weld and each weld will be the same length of time, DON'T go back and fill a hole, leave it and go back when the area has cooled, space your tacks evenly. Consistent weld times consistent material at each weld.

When my tungsten gets dirty I use a thick scrap alloy plate or a copper panel to strike an arc and traverse over the panel, you will hear the sound of the arc change too a smooth sound as the dirty alloy splatter is burnt off. Using a copper plate as a backing to prevent excessive penetration will absorb the heat and make it hard to get a good looking weld.
Using a thick panels and trying to make a poor welds will help you see what happens if you have the wrong angle on your torch,you will see the filler bead rolling one way or the other, you will see one side of you weld will sag and you can then compensate by tipping your torch to align your filler rod and get beads sitting in the right area. Try changing settings and this is the other smoke and mirrors.
I takes KGS of filler rod and many cylinders of Argon to get good, but consistent practice is the best teacher.
I hope this helps.
Chris.

Thanks, Chris. All good info. I've read everything I could find about TIG, and watched every video I could find. It isn't that I'm ignorant of how to do it, but I just hadn't attempted yet. All I've done is steel for most of this year.

I read or heard from one of the uTube welding guys (maybe in a book) that gas welding was the best experience for learning to TIG. I tried gas welding many times, but was never able to do it. I'm not any good at brazing, either.

Last edited:
Ok, it is as done as it is going to get. Not the prettiest, but not a total embarrassment, either. I spent a couple hours making beads on some round scrap. I turned down about 10 thou. on the lathe to clean it and washed it down with acetone. I adjusted the balance to 20% and that seemed to fix the over cleaning action.

I cut a ring about 5/8" long to make a stop for the bottom tube and braced it in and welded it in place. That was a very difficult weld, or at least I had a lot of difficulty getting the thicker side to melt.
After welding the ring on, I put it in the lathe and trimmed the weld flat, but left some so as not to weaken it too much and provide a flat for the bracket to rest on. Then I cut the step in the thick wall tube to fit the upper thin wall tube.

IMG_0862.JPG IMG_0863.JPG

Then, I welded the two together. I made a little bevel on the mating surfaces. I had to turn the amps up much more that what I used to practice. I set it to the upper range recommended for 3/8" stock. I'm not very good at welding round things. I could only manage about 3/4" at a time. I clamped the parts together and didn't need to tack. I got one blob right off the bat before I turned up the amps, and mounted the thing in the lathe and trimmed it down some. The parts were straight and turned true on the lathe.

IMG_0867.JPG

So, here it is, doing what it was made to do. This would have been so much easier if I could made the adapter to fit inside the tubes, but they have an internal seam.

IMG_0871.JPG

Weird. Every time I wrote the word "lathe" is makes a link.

Last edited:
Hey! That's beautiful. Good job.
R

Back