First Aluminum Weld Project

There is probably no good reason for the copper in in my situation, Coolidge. Copper is good to back a weld that has a gap, so the weld doesn't protrude out the opposite side. Spatter and slag doesn't stick to it. I probably used it because I thought it might increase the ground contact, plus I knew I would be welding pieces with a gap between them.

try a bigger cup than what you have on there

Thanks for the post Franko, looks like your coming along pretty good on the aluminum tig. Keep at it.

I just purchased a Everlast 250EX last week, still gathering the other stuff to get started. Coolidge was kind enough to PM me some useful information on the Everlast.

Never used tig before but I have welded all my life since about 13 with stick and oxy/acetylene. Bought a mig machine in 1990 and have used it exclusively since then. Not a pro with either one of them. Going to start on a cart for the tig this morning hopefully, but will use the mig to put it together. I will post a pic later of the Everlast and the work progress on the cart.

Bob

Thanks for the post Franko, looks like your coming along pretty good on the aluminum tig. Keep at it.

I just purchased a Everlast 250EX last week, still gathering the other stuff to get started. Coolidge was kind enough to PM me some useful information on the Everlast.

Never used tig before but I have welded all my life since about 13 with stick and oxy/acetylene. Bought a mig machine in 1990 and have used it exclusively since then. Not a pro with either one of them. Going to start on a cart for the tig this morning hopefully, but will use the mig to put it together. I will post a pic later of the Everlast and the work progress on the cart.

Bob

My welding experience is similar, without the MIG unit... being in the heating and AC business, I braze CU tubing regularly.

I would like to get a TIG machine someday... was looking at an Everlast a while back... Would appreciate your thoughts on the one you got.

THX

GA

franko, if your photo of the two tubes standing up is what i see, and the seam is nearly invisible, i can't hardly believe you would need a filler at all. . . i miss my tig. the defibulator folks said i would probably explode my heart if i got too close to one with the arc running. . . . your practice look quite good. . .

Tips take 2. When welding two different thickness metals together keep your torch on the thinner one and point the heat toward the thicker one.You can always rotate the torch to chase the weld on to the thinner work piece. Once again back filling is your friend.
Once you go all the way around and it's still warm you can make a finish pass for the row of dimes look. Remember that the work is all ready hot so if it looks like its getting away from you cool it down and try again.
The quick way to set your tungsten is to use your filler rod as a gauge just lay it across the cup and set the tip to that distance.

I use lacquer thinner to clean with because it does not leave any oil film behind and dries quicker. Soap and water works well also just rinse it real well.
You got any questions just give me a shout .
********approved.gif ****G**********

More will be revealed regarding the joint between tubes, David.
I need to cap the thicker walled tube. I'll turn a tight fitting plug and weld it in. After that, the plan is to cut a rabbit joint to fit the inside diameter of the thin walled tube. Then, slide them together, clamp and weld them.

I'm feeling fairly comfortable with my torch and rod control welding flat. Welding around curves is much more difficult for me. I need to practice on some scrap tube. I'd love to have a welding lathe, but I don't.

One interesting thing I have noticed using the AC setting is that it is a lot noisier. It makes a very loud buzzing sound.

My friendly local welder (Chuck) pointed out that the cleaning action around my welds seemed excessive and suggested I decrease the ballance. It was set at 75%. I've bumped it up to 80%. Apparently on Lincoln machines this would a change from 25% to 20%.

I need to go back and review some of Jodie's videos, regarding cleaning action of the arc.

That's just wrong! lol

Yep, that was exactly what I was thinking when I made the post. I need to get the cart built so I have a place to put the Everlast and argon bottle, then I can start trying to teach myself how to tig weld. lol

Back