First Aluminum Weld Project

Franko

Active User
Registered
I got my TIG welder about a year ago. I haven't attempted to weld aluminum with it as most of the advise I saw recommended learning to weld steel first, for obvious reasons if you've ever heated any aluminum close to it's melting point.

I have a project that will require some aluminum welds so I guess it is time to practice.

My first test plate was a 3/16" aluminum plate. That's very close to what I'll be welding. I'll post plans later.

This is the set up I used. A copper base plate with the work lead clamped to my copper finger.

alum 1st weld_0856.JPG

I had the amperage set at 120 amps, as that was the high end of recommended for 1/8" welding on my machine (Miller 210 Syncrowave). A 3/32" tungsten ground to a fairly stubby 50º point and 3/32" aluminum rod.
I chose a low amperage setting as my experience has been that aluminum melts suddenly by surprise.

The test beads shown progress from bottom to top, the bottom one being the first.
On the first bead, I made a pass without filler rod. Then I attempted to use rod on a second pass over the first.
It didn't work out very well. I allowed the plate to cool a few minutes between passes.

The second and third passes were a little better, but I was still trying to learn how far away from the arc to keep the filler rod. Too close and it balled up.

On the 4th, 5th, and 6th passes I was starting to get the hang of it. The beads were short on purpose as that is what will be required on the actual project. Still having some issues with melting the tip of the rod, but generally better. By the last couple of rows, I was learning how to dab the rod in and get it out before it melted.

alum 1st weld_0857.JPG

Last edited:
Way to go . just dive in and do it. Make mistakes as you go and learn. I wish my welder did AC. Its only dc tig/stick.

Nice work.
Actually welding two pieces together is a bit harder. My advice is REALLY clean metal to start. Sandblasting it makes a huge improvement in your weld if you can do that. If you are welding factory plate it will be necessary to sand off the oxide layer somehow at the weld seam. Wipe the pieces and the filler rod with acetone right before you weld. Make sure you put the acetone away from the torch. Ask me how I learned that! You need more heat than you may think with aluminum. You want to get a puddle fast and not heat the entire piece any more than necessary. I'm sure others with even more experience will chime in.
Robert

F,
First clean the hell out of the work. Next unless you are welding really small things jump up to 1/8" tungsten and non-reduced cup.. For alum. you don't want a pointed tip. Round is your friend. Keep your torch tipped back at more than 45°. More like 35° to 25° and use the gas flow to push the "Crud" out of the weld stream area.
Joining plate together spot weld the heck out of it. If you have any big gaps back fill them.
Don't watch the center of the weld puddle watch the sides and when the weld lines up stop the heat and move.
Don't fret I burned up 20 lbs of rod before I got the hang of it.
UV light from Tig welding is bad Ju Ju cover up and don't be a bone head like me.

For a finished "Row of Dimes" look don't be afraid to back fill first then go back and Touch it up.
I got more tips and tricks but dinner is ready and SWMBO is calling .
**G**

I've seen some sexy Tig welding, it takes practice.

My skool just bought some new stick/tig and mig welders, my boss says I'm one of the guys that will be sitting in on the company sponsored training. Woo-hoo, I can't wait.

I've seen some sexy Tig welding, it takes practice.

My skool just bought some new stick/tig and mig welders, my boss says I'm one of the guys that will be sitting in on the company sponsored training. Woo-hoo, I can't wait.

I am sure you understand the subtle and playful sarcasm of this comment:

:you suck:

Nothing personal...

Just jealous... :grin:

and remember...aluminum likes to sit there all innocent looking...not red like hot steel...it will get you..
I can't tell you how many people have come over and see what i'm welding and grab it...they learn quick

Thanks for the tips. I need them all.

I did clean the aluminum, with a stainless wire brush and cleaned the aluminum with acetone.
My rig has high frequency and I can see where it cleaned around the welds.
The cup I'm using is a gas valve cup.

I moved on to joining two pieces with a butt joint. It went much easier than I expected. I guess all the practice I did with steel paid off.

This is a sample of joining two 1/8" pieces. I'm happy with the torch and rod control, but
I see some little pits in the beads. What do you suppose? Maybe a bigger gas valve cup?

alum joint weld_0858.JPG

This is what the project is. It's two aluminum tubes, one 1/4" wall and the other 1/8" wall. I need to butt them together.
My plan is to cut a rabbit in the thick one to simplify clamping and alignment, and to provide some back-up to the thinner tube to avoid burn through.

It will be an adapter sleeve to mount my bicycle work stand to a stage speaker stand. The diameter of the stand is 1.5" and the work stand is 1.75".

stand tubes_0859.JPG

stand tubes_0860.JPG

Last edited:
Back