Firewood Processor

Great looking work.
I have built a few splitters but never a processor. I believe I read a 3" cylinder with 10.5 tons of force for splitting? I can't see that being effective particularly if your gonna run a 6 or 8 way wedge? We run a 4" cylinder at 3000 psi and it struggled occasionally with the four way on difficult wood. Just my thoughts, you have obviously thought this out its evident by your nice work.
Thanks,
Its only going to have a single wedge, the wood I get varies a lot in size, some only needs a single split, some 6 or 8. The single wedge is slower but in the end I get wood the size I want. The splitter Im using now has a 3 inch cylinder but its fed off a single stage pump on the tractor at 1800 psi. It runs out of push from time to time, so Im hoping the two stage pump will give it the ump I need.

Greg

Have the log stop pretty much wrapped up.
I needed a valve to dump the fluid feeding the advance motor when the log hit the stop. I had a couple of sections from a stackable valve but no manifolds. Since the manifold will only be at tank pressure I made them out of aluminum.
IMG_2088.jpg

As the log advances it hits the arm which slides the shaft along compressing the spring and opening the valve. The spring also counter balances the arm to bring it back down.

IMG_2091.jpg

As the saw comes down a quick acting cam lifts the arm out of the way.

IMG_2092.jpg

IMG_2088.jpg

IMG_2091.jpg

IMG_2092.jpg

IMG_2088.jpg

IMG_2091.jpg

IMG_2092.jpg

IMG_2088.jpg

IMG_2091.jpg

IMG_2092.jpg

IMG_2088.jpg

IMG_2091.jpg

IMG_2092.jpg

IMG_2088.jpg

IMG_2091.jpg

IMG_2092.jpg

Greg, if you ever sell tickets to watch this thing run I'll be first in line to buy one! :encourage:

I really appreciate all the pictures and the thought that went into the design.

-brino

Doubt if ticket revenue would pay for the fuel during the demo, and this engine apparently only burns a liter per hour. lol
Drop over some time and I'll give you the 5 cent tour.

Greg

Once you get the shaper set up multiple keyways are quick. Can cut one in probably under a minute. The first one though I had the stroke speed slow to see how it was going, took too big a bite and it snapped the 1/4 cutter without even mowning.
IMG_2112.jpg

These are the sprockets for the drag chains on top of the log bunks. Cut them on the plasma cutter. Now ready for welding.

IMG_2113.jpg

These are the bunks the logs will feed from. Number 60 roller chain will be on top to drag the logs along. Folding extensions will go out to the side. Its starting to outgrow the shop.

IMG_2114.jpg

Thanks for watching.
Greg

IMG_2112.jpg

IMG_2113.jpg

IMG_2114.jpg

IMG_2112.jpg

IMG_2113.jpg

IMG_2114.jpg

IMG_2112.jpg

IMG_2113.jpg

IMG_2114.jpg

IMG_2112.jpg

IMG_2113.jpg

IMG_2114.jpg

IMG_2112.jpg

IMG_2113.jpg

IMG_2114.jpg

Greg,
What ever happened to the Aligator build ?
*G*

The alligator went on hold for the winter but we should be back at it soon, if it ever warms up here. I need to get the paddle wheels assembled but the processor is taking up pretty much all my shop space.

Greg

OK 1sm213sharepopcorn.gif I'll wait till the snow melts up there.
*G*

1sm213sharepopcorn.gif

Back