Firewood Processor

I had to laugh as I thought out our little 22" stove pipe wood burner (glass door) and about 7 fans (that fall over w/ dogs and cats) and make so much noise, they drive you NUTS by January... Just to push it all around our large 2 story place...
I think if they work that well f350, I should check into a unit like yours! May as well heat efficiently when I work so hard for the wood?

Got the oiler for the chain saw working so it was time for a proper test.
The log deck still needed the chain on the centre bunk, once it was installed the logs feed properly.
The chute the log drops into still needs planking to centre the log when it rolls in.
The feed chain on the log chute is too slow, will have to change the ratio on the drive chain to sort that out.
The saw works great, I was worried the single belt drive would slip but that isn't an issue at all. In fact I managed to clamp the log too tight and bound the saw, it will stall the engine.
The cut block hangs up on the saw guard as it rolls over to the splitter. Not sure there is much I can do about that. Not a huge issue, think I can live with it.
The splitter is great. Fast and powerful. As you can see 30 inch long oak blocks are pretty much a joke for it.
All in all I'm pleased.
Couple of little things to finish up and we should be painting it latter
this week.

Thanks for watching,

Greg

Sure beats the heck out of a chain saw and a splitting maul. :) Great job!:encourage:

Got the oiler for the chain saw working so it was time for a proper test.
The log deck still needed the chain on the centre bunk, once it was installed the logs feed properly.
The chute the log drops into still needs planking to centre the log when it rolls in.
The feed chain on the log chute is too slow, will have to change the ratio on the drive chain to sort that out.
The saw works great, I was worried the single belt drive would slip but that isn't an issue at all. In fact I managed to clamp the log too tight and bound the saw, it will stall the engine.
The cut block hangs up on the saw guard as it rolls over to the splitter. Not sure there is much I can do about that. Not a huge issue, think I can live with it.
The splitter is great. Fast and powerful. As you can see 30 inch long oak blocks are pretty much a joke for it.
All in all I'm pleased.
Couple of little things to finish up and we should be painting it latter
this week.

Thanks for watching,

Greg

A video is worth a million words. A suggestion for the chainsaw guard problem might be to add a pivot at the back of the guard to raise it enough to clear the exiting logs when the saw is retracted. I didn't back review your thread to grasp how you are engaging the saw to the engine. If you are using an electric clutch you could provide safety by using a limit switche to activate the clutch once the guard is down. The guard pivot cylinder could be piped parallel with the saw pivot cylinder thus eliminating the need for another valve. Edit: I re-reviewed the entire thread & noticed another simpler way to control pivoting the guard. You might consider tying a guard pivoting cylinder with the log clamp. Again parallel piping would lift the guard while clamping the log.

Last edited:
Great job, works very well. Congratulations. I'm kind of sad to see it finished I always look on here to see what you have done to it next. I really enjoyed this thread.
Cheers
Martin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Martin, I'll be happy to see it finished and my pile of logs reduced to something a little more usable. Weather permitting I'll be painting it tomorrow. Took the engine and a few pieces off today and degreased and pressure washed it.
Then have to track down some reasonably priced white oak to line the bunks. Sawed some elm last fall but as too often happens it turned into pretzels this summer.

Greg

Too bad ash isn't more weatherable to use on the bunk . There is tons to saw up.

Back