Finally, a vacation...

@WobblyHand - Sounds like you've had a tough run of it lately so i sincerely hope you enjoy your vacation and time with your family.

Last edited:
We all have different ideas of what an ideal vacation is. For me, I've traveled a lot of the world, and riding around on planes is just not appealing anymore. So a good vacation minimizes travel. For example, we spent a month in Oaxaca in January and February...that was terrific. This winter it's a month in Tucson. No moving around, just local sightseeing.

We all have different ideas of what an ideal vacation is. For me, I've traveled a lot of the world, and riding around on planes is just not appealing anymore. So a good vacation minimizes travel. For example, we spent a month in Oaxaca in January and February...that was terrific. This winter it's a month in Tucson. No moving around, just local sightseeing.
After this whirlwind tour of Iceland, we are going to chill out in Greece for a week. I like to stay in a place for a while and get to know it. The tour stuff gets old pretty quick, but it's a good way to know if you want to go back to a place you've visited, or never go again.

Air travel just is not as fun as it used to be. Yes, there's more amenities than before (if you pay enough) but overall, the air travel fun factor has declined over the last 60 years.

well, don't eat it. It's awful. I ate it twice. They are in frigid waters and don't urinate. So they are not like shark from warm waters.
yuck...
Ha ha, thanks for the warning. Hope to try the lamb tonight.

Saw Gullfoss waterfall. That was pretty neat, also visited the Geysers at Geysir Iceland. Apparently geyser is the only Icelandic word adopted by the English language. Finally visited a volcanic crater.
PXL_20230815_122924843.jpg
Pictures don't do this justice!
PXL_20230815_135805464.jpg
One of the small geysers erupting. There was a second one 5 minutes later that was much larger, but I missed the picture.
PXL_20230815_151804310.jpg
Climbed up the rim of the crater up near the right hand side and traversed the rim towards the left.
PXL_20230815_152429765.jpg
Looking down from the rim. That was fun.

I did have the lamb tonight at Old Iceland Restaurant. It was great, but food is quite expensive here. The lamb melted in my mouth and was incredibly tender and delicious. It was great paired with a red wine. I can't afford another meal like that, but it sure was good.

Another fun packed day tomorrow. Have to leave the hotel by 7am!

It really turned out to be a great day at the glacier. Pretty clear, with only a light wind. Other parts of Iceland we went through have been overcast or rainy. Well, on the return trip now.

The outlet of the glacier empties into the Atlantic Ocean. At that point there's a black sand beach and sometimes the ice washes up.
PXL_20230816_154918455.jpg
The black sand is light and fluffy and very fine. Almost got wet when the wave washed in faster than expected. Had to hop backwards twice to keep my socks dry! That was a trick as I was crouching at the time to take the picture.

Back