Filter for my Surface Grinder Coolant

Yeah, that's kind of what i'm using now. I'd like to get a proper baffled tank, filter and a good mix of coolant/water and forget about it. As it is now, I'm having to add water and it's in a tight spot.
I'll get it done one of these days. I'm 63 and counting ;)

I worked as Tool and Die for 28 years, and ran dozens of wet grinders from 6 x 12 up to 24 x 48 (including a 6 x 18 Micromaster). None of them had a filter of any kind, most had 2 to 4 baffles in the tank. All were 15 to 40+ years old, and all were using the original factory pump. When the coolant looked gritty, you knew it was time to get an apprentice to shovel out the coolant tank.

Filter? Yes. Is it giving me better results? I have no idea. The filter does load up with debris, so I'm guessing that it does not hurt anything.

I repurposed the coolant tank pump from my little band saw (cut off saw - the drain arrangement is poorly designed and the coolant goes all over the place). The tank has a single baffle, so I'm guessing most of the debris is on the return side of the tank, but likely some makes its' way over to the pump side. I plumbed in a cannister type housing that uses the string wound (or styrofoam) elements - common in home water systems. Replacement filters are available at the regular hardware stores and ag stores (ratings from about 5 micron to 50 micron). When the flow is dropping off, then I replace the element (filter lasts about 6 months, but I don't run the grinder steady).

Attachments

• DSCF0081.JPG
    DSCF0081.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 112
Back