Filter for my Surface Grinder Coolant

I have a pond pump that lifts/pressurises the coolant. I'm thinking there is enough pressure to push through the 11 micron filter. If not, I'll go to a more open system. I'm trying to filter out as much as possible.

I get that you have a pump but doesn't the pump suck from the tank pressurize the line that sprays to the table then it's all gravity back to tank. If so you will not have pressure going back to tank it relies on gravity to feed tank. Which you would be restricting back to tank with the filters you link. Now if you sucked from your table and pressurized back to tank it would work. Remember you not gonna have enough HEAD pressure coming from table to push the fluid fast enough through that filter back to tank. They use a cheese cloth to strain paint before spraying cars it'll collect everything a grinder puts out.

Like this. Looks like more expensive in California than in Illinois.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/gpi-adaptor-ci-3-4-to-1-in?cm_vc=-10005##
1587074417104.png

I have a pond pump that lifts/pressurises the coolant. I'm thinking there is enough pressure to push through the 11 micron filter. If not, I'll go to a more open system. I'm trying to filter out as much as possible.

If you are using a pond pump I would definitely at least do the baffle system. Those little submersible pumps can move quite a bit of liquid but they have an impeller with an exposed magnet that bathes in the liquid. That magnet will attract steel chips for sure and it will wear the magnet and the plastic housing too. I use the same sort of pump for my cleanup sluice for gold prospecting and the magnetite will wreck the pump in short order if it isn't protected from the chips.

The way I protect my pump is with a baffle system and then a rare earth magnet just outside of the intake for the pump. The microscopic little bits of magnetite or steel in your case will form a colloidal solution in water and stay suspended through the baffle system. That rare earth magnet sucks it right out of the water before it gets to the pump. It forms some crazy shapes around the magnet as it interacts with the magnetic fields. Put the magnet in a ziploc bag and squeeze the air out and put it next to the inlet. When it gets really cruddy just turn the bag inside out and you have a clean magnet ready to go into a new bag, If you don't use the bag, you will never get all the iron off the magnet. It is physically impossible.1587074417104.png

We use a plain old dual mount oil filter set up, but installed after the pump. There are a settling tanks to remove most of the grit but not all. You can see one in the background of the Landis cylindrical grinder. Cheapest price was Summit Racing and uses standard PH-8 filters. Use a bilge pump to filter the coolant separately before it gets to the tank, by adding a separate tank like a 5 gallon pail with the bilge pump and filters feeding the factory tank.
Pierre
B21658CB-F968-483E-A609-842196B59F7B.jpeg

Filters are not necessary with a baffled tank as shown above, and the type of pumps used are not harmed in any way by grinding swarf. I have the same grinder as Jeff, and the return from the tank to the table is perfectly clear. Perhaps filtered coolant might be a good thing for extremely fussy work, not the sort that most of us do. The system as supplied by B&S for coolant works just fine as it is.

Filters are not necessary with a baffled tank as shown above, and the type of pumps used are not harmed in any way by grinding swarf. I have the same grinder as Jeff, and the return from the tank to the table is perfectly clear. Perhaps filtered coolant might be a good thing for extremely fussy work, not the sort that most of us do. The system as supplied by B&S for coolant works just fine as it is.
I'd love to build your B&S tank, I have the plans (thanks again), I'm almost done with my plasma table water tray so I can use my plasma cutter without starting my shop on fire.
Working with sheet metal is difficult without sheet metal tools.
I'm thinking of putting a couple magnets in the drain troughs on each side of the grinder.

True, with a good baffled tank, one should be fine. In our case we found light scratches from grit coming back, even though the grinder has a 3 sump tank.
We just purchased a Chevalier 3A20 SG the other day. Still needs to be hooked up and the electrician is not working except for emergency call outs. It came with it’s own coolant system and we really are wanting to try it, but we wait.
Pierre

Here is one for $224. Tank with line and nozzle. No baffles but that could be easily added.
5 gallons, add a little cart to make it portable for servicing needs.
Still planning on making one with sheet metal. Stitch weld the panels to keep the warping to a minimum.
I've learned a lot about this subject. You guys have added some good information.
Thank you!

It doesn't have to be complicated, I used a 5 gal bucket and a few plastic storage containers. The coolant drains to the 5 gal bucket, which has an overflow about 4" from the top and magnets in the bottom. The overflow runs down into a small container, which is inside the bigger container so it over flows into the bigger container, where the pump is. The bigger container has a snap on lid, as does the 5 gal bucket.

Back