Filter for my Surface Grinder Coolant

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
I was watching a Tom Lipton video about surface grinding. As a fresh fish to this fascinating process, I was reminded the coolant should be clean and debris free.
I have a ladies nylon sack in the coolant return right now, it's not exactly doing the job.
I found this screw on filter adapter that I can mount to the side of my Brown and Sharpe, 618 Micromaster.
Amazon had it for $24 on Prime.
https://derale.com/product-footer/f...s-24-heat-sink-transmission-cooler-kit-detail

It should be compatible with the old Ford V8 standard filter FL-1A, just screw it on and off when ready to change.

It probably would be best to have a filter of some sort on the inlet side of the pump as well. The grinder wheel pieces and metal chips aren't going to do anything good to a pump. I think that is a lot of the reason for the misting type coolant systems, you can just drain it to a drain and not worry about the bad things the used coolant can do to the pump.

Probably a very good idea. I'd have to come up with a fine screen of some sort as it gravity feeds into my getto tank.
Maybe something like this?

It would be easy to rig up some PVC pipe housing.

Also, you can pick up a fuel filter fitting for $10-$15 at a farm store. You want the kind that goes on a fuel pump like the farmers have on their tanks at the farm. The filters will handle the volume of flood coolant better and they are pretty cheap too.

But still you would want something on the table drain to save your pump from the grit. Possibly put a baffle in the tank to give the coolant time to settle. Heck, they may already have them.

The Tool and Die shop that I worked at had custom steel coolant tanks built like this to filter out the particles and oils.....
coolant filter.jpg

I do not have a filter on my coolant other than a cheese cloth material on the inlet of the tank. The problem I see with a fuel or spin on filter like you posted in the first pic is remember these system have no pressure all gravity so I don't think it will flow at the rate you are discharging so it will restrict the system and back it up. Does your tank have dividers if not it should mine is a stock system and has three compartment. The dividers give the system time for the debris to settle the last compartment should be clean fluid. The cheese cloth gets the bulk of debris and the dividers gets the rest which is minimal. The second link you posted would be more likely to work better for the bulk of it maybe a ladies pantyhose over the screen would work even better. JMO

Also, you can pick up a fuel filter fitting for $10-$15 at a farm store. You want the kind that goes on a fuel pump like the farmers have on their tanks at the farm. The filters will handle the volume of flood coolant better and they are pretty cheap too.

But still you would want something on the table drain to save your pump from the grit. Possibly put a baffle in the tank to give the coolant time to settle. Heck, they may already have them.
I have a pond pump that lifts/pressurises the coolant. I'm thinking there is enough pressure to push through the 11 micron filter. If not, I'll go to a more open system. I'm trying to filter out as much as possible.

Back