FEAR of Windows 11

Have used that before, but it still does not solve the major issues with Win10 OR Win11.

That said................... I did install it on my friends Win11 to make life easier for them. Still a lot of deeply buried stuff that requires easier access though, even with OpenShell.

OpenShell is a good compromise, to my mind at least, between WinXP & Win7 styling. I do actually like it, but there should be ZERO NEED for such programs that simply return the menu systems that ACTUALLY WORK PROPERLY and EASILY but yet Microshaft NEVER listen to the End Users of the software.

Oh and now it is going from "you own a license to use it" to "we are making it a rental-service agreement where we will let you use it for free because we are secretly compiling statistics and data and then selling it onwards to our partners without you knowing, whilst we can also add or remove features at our discretion and screw you over if you happen to use or rely on any feature we may add or remove without warning".

Sod that for a game of toy soldiers!

I completely agree. I particularly despise all the subscription based software! I still use Office 2016. Microsoft Exchange and even Google no longer function with Outlook 2016 without a huge amount of back end manipulation (registry edits and a manually installed patch) which is where the Justice Department should be standing up for users and not letting massive companies force us into subscription based software. I got my first PC in 1985, in the last decade the PC industry has really taken a DARK "1984'ish" turn! Unfortunately anyone who is smart enough to understand these destructive monopolistic trends is too smart to be a politician!

pol·i·ti·cian
/ˌpäləˈtiSH(ə)n/
verb
  1. a state of severe mental illness.

Last edited:
Should be titled "FEAR AND LOATHING of WINDOWS". "I was just Googling about Barstow when the cookies started to take hold." Or something like that.

! How did you do that? I have an old Acad 2000 lying around somewhere and it would be all I need for 2D cad. I've tried the alternates and even rented Acad LT but frankly, I would be happier with the old Acad.
When I get home I will look up what I used.
Pierre

I switched over to Apple about 20 years now. Their customer service is the best. Problems are few and far in-between. I have no intension of ever purchasing other brands again. Al.

At one point I would only buy HP Engineering machines but recently I bought an Alien X17 R2.... it now my favorite machine. Microshaft W11 isn't bad, no better or worse than any of the other crud Microshaft has put out except maybe Vista, :rolleyes: Vista was a special kind of sucky.....

I switched over to Apple about 20 years now. Their customer service is the best. Problems are few and far in-between. I have no intension of ever purchasing other brands again. Al.

I went that way for my last laptop and desktop. I ended up going back with the newer versions of MacOS and the hardware being so limited. I have no interest in the ARM based stuff they are doing these days and they went way downhill post-Jobs. I'm also not willing to pay that much for machines I can't maintain and upgrade. I still have a 2010 Macbook Pro running great on Linux. Upgrading to an SSD and 16GB RAM is a big part of that. I get most people aren't going to work on laptops, so I'm the weird one, but soldering the RAM and storage on the board is a non-starter for me right now for laptop and desktop machines. If what they are offering works well for you though, do it. What works for me might not work for you. :)

To give Apple their due though, I did get a free battery replacement for that laptop with the recall for a GPU issue on the machines. I had approved the price estimate they gave me when I brought it in, but the manager decided to comp it anyway. Nice of them. I can't fault the experience when I have had to work with them directly.

M$oft has effed me over twice now with operating systems...

After a LONG LONG learning curve I am good with W10.

I see all new computers come with Win 11 now. I found a refurb with W10.

General desktop use, excell and draftsight many others. which would you buy?

W10 refurb:

VERY CHEAP, has W10. Used machine might not last as long and I HATE setting up a new computer.

New W11

I am looking only at HP. At least for me, they have been more reliable. Again, I HATE having to set up a new machine.

Other advice?
I have both Windows 10 and 11.
I think Windows 11 is faster. They have to keep updating do to viruses protection.

I started with DOS 1.1
I also use a VB box using Windows XP for the old software on Windows 11 very fast.

Dave

M$oft has effed me over twice now with operating systems...

After a LONG LONG learning curve I am good with W10.

I see all new computers come with Win 11 now. I found a refurb with W10.

General desktop use, excell and draftsight many others. which would you buy?

W10 refurb:

VERY CHEAP, has W10. Used machine might not last as long and I HATE setting up a new computer.

New W11

I am looking only at HP. At least for me, they have been more reliable. Again, I HATE having to set up a new machine.

Other advice?
FYI
It better to get computer with Windows 11. My wife's computer had Windows 10 then upgraded to 11.
I purchased my HP laptop a year later after my wife got here computer.

Dave

:rolleyes: Vista was a special kind of sucky.....

Please stop swearing! :laughing:

All jokes aside, Win7 is what that "junk" you mentioned was supposed to be, they just released it waaaay too early.

I'm also not willing to pay that much for machines I can't maintain and upgrade.
Try going the Hackintosh route... MacOS is fast on a machine intended for windows, which is why I run two flavours on my laptop. Granted, I need to update to the latest version of MacOS, but hell, it runs faster than Microshaft windows does on the same machine.

My old Len X220 / T420 / T430 all ran (still run) without issues running MacOS.

A proper install of Windows 11 with no connection to a Microsoft Account, a taskbar setting change to shift the Start button to the left side where it should be, and a whole bunch of shutting stuff off in Privacy settings and in Edge and it will look and work like Windows 10.

Things are changing. Windows abandoning being a stand alone OS and becoming a service only is getting closer. For now, Win 11 is something you should already be using or you should be making the switch before the support for 10 begins to expire late next year.

Much tougher decisions are coming in the versions soon after 11 at the rate things are going, but we aren't there quite yet. The frog boils slowly.

Back