FEAR of Windows 11

Karl_T

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
M$oft has effed me over twice now with operating systems...

After a LONG LONG learning curve I am good with W10.

I see all new computers come with Win 11 now. I found a refurb with W10.

General desktop use, excell and draftsight many others. which would you buy?

W10 refurb:

VERY CHEAP, has W10. Used machine might not last as long and I HATE setting up a new computer.

New W11

I am looking only at HP. At least for me, they have been more reliable. Again, I HATE having to set up a new machine.

Other advice?

I'm starting to hate new computers. And Windows 11. I've learned to hate windows updates too. Half the time I have to "debug" or play with the fool thing to get it to respond.
If this is Gate's idea of progress I want out. I miss Windows 95...

Hum. Maybe I've been lucky, but my machine uses 11 and nary a problem. I built the box myself. Maybe that helps? Those low cost corporate boxes use really cheap hardware. Everything is integrated, some even without a proper hard drive.

Most operating systems are stuck in the mode of breaking stuff that used to work. Windows, Linux and Mac.

Perhaps it's the developers' desire to do new and cool things (without any support of the consequences) or it's simply driven by revenue considerations. I've been burned on Windows and Linux. You'd think Linux would be better, but they came up with a new window manager that obsoletes the old ways of remoting into a system. Can't find a way to do it anymore, even on my own network. There's VNC, but it is not as good. So there's a certain arrogance that they can break things and disrupt your work flow with no consequences. I don't care for that behavior at all.

As for Mac, they revel in being different. I can tell you that they make it difficult to build your own software or from others. There's always some darn quirky thing to deal with.

So pick your poison. Whatever you do, pick something that's modern, supported, and actively updated. There's loads of bad actors out there, that would love to hijack your computer, and or steal your identity and fortune. You need modern software to keep them out.

I am still using an HP desktop with Win 7 Ultimate that I bought some thirteen years ago, It has been a stable and reliable machine for the most part. My most expensive software is SolidWorks and I don't believe that it will play nicely with Win 11. I also have SprutCAM7 on the machine and between the two, it would be over $5K to update them to current versions. I would also have to add a video card capable of working with SolidWorks which would potentially add another $1K to an upgrade.

I stopped doing updates some years back when a MS update screwed up the computer and I had to restore it to a previous state to recover it. I realize that I am at risk of a malware attack by not running current software. A solution might be to take this computer off line and dedicate it to my CAD/CAM work.

A question for all the gurus out there; can I set up a separate LAN to communicate with our primary system and still isolate it from the outside world.

A question for all the gurus out there; can I set up a separate LAN to communicate with our primary system and still isolate it from the outside world.
I do. It provides some isolation but nothing is completely foolproof. Several approaches,
1) block ethernet addresses from accessing the internet router (essentially a firewall)
2) don't give the isolated devices the "default route"
3) set up a completely different subnet with a cheap L3 switch between that and your main subnet.

I use sort of a messy hybrid of all of the above, but I'm pretty comfortable with networking. Pretty much have to start with breaking the simple dhcp address assignment. I limit that to a smaller range and use manually assigned IP addresses on those things that I want to isolate.

Last edited:
I love HP and W7.
Have at least 6 HP D530 CMT boxes

I am running two CNC mills, a CNC lathe and a security system with these. Keep spares ready to go on hand. BUT LIMITED to no internet access.

My current computer is a white box I built myself. It is ten years old now and not working right. MOSTLY because I moved it to W10 from W7. I have gotten too old to go this route again.

So, back to question: W10 used or W11 new?

I long ago got fed up with Ballmer's Code Bombs (aka "Windows Update") because things quit working every time one installed.

I'm running Windows 10 still because the local computer store warned me away from W11 when I upgraded machines.

Does anyone else find Canon printer software as hard to use as I do? It is like they cross-wired the thought process.

Support for Win10 will end October 2025, if that makes any difference. Since you are replacing rather than upgrading, I would suggest a new Win11 box. Based on my experience with customer's machines, I have no particular complaints about 11 other than UI changes made simply for the sake of change. I have a low opinion of HP's consumer grade machines, but their business class stuff is generally quite solid.

Pull the band aid off once and just get W11. Support for W10 will supposedly go away late next year (10/2025), and some older computers will not support W11 if you later want to upgrade.

W11 has been out for 3 years so they have had the time to work out {most) of the bugs.

I switched to Windows 11 two years ago, following a bad W10 update that required a full re-install. There are some WHY!!! changes (mostly moving key interface icons) that took some getting used to but after a month or so I really don't care anymore and now have no trouble moving back and forth between a W11 and W10 machine.

Last year I took an older (originally W7) machine from 2012 in to a local shop to get it upgraded as a second computer. Was still a viable computer just dated. I replaced the hard drive with something larger and added RAM. I found out that due to the age it will not support W11 even though by specs it should. It is based on something intrinsic to the hardware (chip or motherboard, don't recall). Doesn't really matter to me as it won't go online and the programs I will use on it work with both W10 and W11, so I just have to deal with the quirks of two OSs.

Back