FEAR of Windows 11

I migrated AutoCad 2000 from my 32 bit Vista to 64 bit Win 8.1 machine. Had to use a 3rd party setup program to load it. Other than that and software for photography there is no reason to move higher. Everything else I have running on Ubuntu on a HP Z800 workstation.

The only rock solid machines that I have experience in at work or home is a business class workstation like my Z800. Find a reseller that handles them off lease. Get a $15 k machine for 10-20% of new.

I've had good luck buying refurbished machines from Newegg. Check out this link.

John

I've had good luck buying refurbished machines from Newegg. Check out this link.

John
OK, just surfed and found these HP machines, are they business or consumer grade? toomany to choose from.

Z series machines are high end workstations.

John

I migrated AutoCad 2000 from my 32 bit Vista to 64 bit Win 8.1 machine. Had to use a 3rd party setup program to load it.

! How did you do that? I have an old Acad 2000 lying around somewhere and it would be all I need for 2D cad. I've tried the alternates and even rented Acad LT but frankly, I would be happier with the old Acad.

As far as a new PC, I still grudgingly build my own. I usually start with an existing enclosure and buy decent parts for much less than a similar packaged unit. I say grudgingly because I'm sort of getting tired of doing it these days.

TBH, Anything after Win7 is just bloatware junk and spyware. Given any choice, I would prefer to run WinXP or Win2Kpro. I know how to handle them and block the "I wanna call home" sheet.

I refuse, point blank, to have Win10, or even Win11 anywhere NEAR my machines. Ever tried to stop FORCED updates? yup, there are methods to do that with Win10 & Win11

I have occasion to deal with Win11 on a regular basis courtesy of a friend and frankly, it is apalling. Half the useful programs that would run on W7 & W10 can not be used and then there are the driver issues, not to mention the unholy mess of the UI and placement of certain advanced settings. Uttterly bonkers.

Prefer they stick with ONE UI and just update the back-end. would make life MUCH easier for many people, but oh no, they have to be all fancy and "this is the next greatest thing so we are following like the sheeple designers we are whilst we screw everything up and ruin your workflow, then we will release an update that screws you over by breaking things that previously worked, so we can release ANOTHER update to fix what we broke, which immediately breaks something else AAAAaaannnnd so on and so forth!

Personally, I wil stick to MacOS, Win7 or AndroidOS on my ringfenced, well protected multiboot Laptop. Oh and yes, I am running MacOS on a machine it is not meant to run on!

Put Microshaft spyware 10 or 11 on my machine? You must be joking!

OpenShell

Open source "shell" for Windows. It remaps how windows looks and functions. I personally use the Windows XP shell classic 2 row skin.

Screenshot 2024-04-03 112814.png

Screw all the Microsoft changing the skin on each Windows version. That is just idiocy.

Since this is true open source there are no adds or other obnoxious surprises. I have been using OpenShell and its predecessor ClassicShell for over a decade... probably longer if I wanted to actually figure out when I started using it. I recommend repositioning the "start button" to the left where it has traditionally been (Right-click on the start button and choose settings). I also recommend NOT replacing the start button, this functionality doesn't always work as smooth as it should.

Screenshot 2024-04-03 113802.png

Last edited:
OpenShell

Open source "shell" for Windows. It remaps how windows looks and functions. I personally use the Windows XP shell classic 2 row skin.

View attachment 485287

Screw all the Microsoft changing the skin on each Windows version. That is just idiocy.

Since this is true open source there are no adds or other obnoxious surprises. I have been using OpenShell and its predecessor ClassicShell for over a decade... probably longer if I wanted to when I started using it.

Have used that before, but it still does not solve the major issues with Win10 OR Win11.

That said................... I did install it on my friends Win11 to make life easier for them. Still a lot of deeply buried stuff that requires easier access though, even with OpenShell.

OpenShell is a good compromise, to my mind at least, between WinXP & Win7 styling. I do actually like it, but there should be ZERO NEED for such programs that simply return the menu systems that ACTUALLY WORK PROPERLY and EASILY but yet Microshaft NEVER listen to the End Users of the software.

Oh and now it is going from "you own a license to use it" to "we are making it a rental-service agreement where we will let you use it for free because we are secretly compiling statistics and data and then selling it onwards to our partners without you knowing, whilst we can also add or remove features at our discretion and screw you over if you happen to use or rely on any feature we may add or remove without warning".

Sod that for a game of toy soldiers!

Back