Family Room As Workshop

Nice Frank, that's one interesting setup... you should pm me a couple pics, would love to see it. It was very difficult living alone at first but over time I began to see the advantages. Now I'm not sure I would have it any other way. What I like is how it gave me time to find hobbies and interests that I never would have found otherwise. Now I never get bored. I'm even happy answering these posts, ha.

Brino, good points. Soundproofing never occurred to me but you're right, none needed for me and the fact that much of the room is underground I'm hoping it will keep the noise level to a minimum for the neighbors. The electrical is covered. I have 100 feet of 10/3 wire which is more than enough to run a 240v line from the garage fuse box to the back wall where the lathe and mill will be located. I'm only going to run one line for both outlets since I won't be running them at the same time. I have steel conduit for the garage... it will then run through the joists in the laundry room and storage area... and finally down, but behind, the wall to the outlets. This way other than the 4-prong outlets, nothing else will show. Thanks.

Matt called and the PM932M-PDF Mill is on it's way... should be here in about an hour. Of course it will have to stay in the garage until I get a few more things done, but I'm okay with that.

Me, Myself and I used to get along fine. We made the dining room into my tool room once the ex was gone all was good for many years then that idiot "I" went out and got married. So Me and Myself moved everything to the COLD garage. sigh. Love the idea of using the family room for a shop. Wonder if "I" can convince "Her" to let me do it????

Hilarious. I was engaged one time after the first divorce but broke it off when I realized I was going to end up losing access to all my passions. I feel for you, ha.

On a better note... for me anyway... is I have some pics of the mill to post. The family room isn't completely clear but I did enough to remove almost 6 feet of carpet along the back wall where the machines will go. The good news is the floor looks (at least so far) much better than the garage... smoother surface and looks level. It does have a couple hairline cracks but the floor is still even and I haven't seen any water marks/stains.

001 Matt Delivering PM932.JPG 002 Matt Delivering PM932.JPG 003 PM932 Crates in Garage.JPG 004 PM932 Crates in Garage.JPG 005 PM932 Base.JPG 006 PM932 In Crate.JPG 007 PM932 In Crate.JPG 008 PM932 In Crate.JPG 009 PM932 In Crate.JPG 010 PM932 In Crate.JPG 011 PM932 In Crate.JPG 012 PM932 In Crate.JPG

Looking good!!
Well "She" doesn't interfere with my hobbies which fill the garage and basement now. When I first got my lathe/mill, a Maximat 10V-P, It was taken apart to transport. When I got it home "She" wouldn't let me take it into the basement. But once I had it all together "She" says, "OH" you could have taken it down stairs!!!! Well I'm not taking it all apart after getting it set up!! But that could change if my plan to heat the garage doesn't work out!!
I'll be watching to see how things work out for you. And if you get the urge to marry again make sure everything is set up the way you want and make it perfectly clear this is the way it is and it's staying that way!!! So far it's worked for me.

Thanks wrench. Like your logic... will keep that in mind but I might prefer not having enough room, then she can stay at her own place, ha.

I'm now trying to figure out what to do about the floor. I definitely don't want bare concrete or epoxy coatings... don't like either. At the moment I'm actually thinking of wood plastic composite panels which can be used outside or inside... i.e. as industrial floorings... and there are some really nice designs. I could always lay them around the levelers if I have to. If anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate it.

Another question is if I should seal the concrete before I install any type of flooring, or can it interfere with certain things like flooring adhesive?

Thanks

I don't think sealing the floor should cause a problem with adhesives. But you will need to allow for the possibility of oil spills and such so this will have to taken into consideration when selecting flooring. I'd look at oil resistant floor coverings for garages.

By oil spills, I assume you're referring to something accidental right? I could say I'll be careful, because I typically am, but that won't guarantee there would never be a spill. However, taking that precaution eliminates 98% of the flooring products. Even with garage floors oil would get under the interlocking tiles. That leaves one piece garage floor covers... although I could limit that to the far end of the room where the machines would go. If anyone has any comments or suggestions, please chime in. Thanks.

By oil spills, I assume you're referring to something accidental right? I could say I'll be careful, because I typically am, but that won't guarantee there would never be a spill. However, taking that precaution eliminates 98% of the flooring products. Even with garage floors oil would get under the interlocking tiles. That leaves one piece garage floor covers... although I could limit that to the far end of the room where the machines would go. If anyone has any comments or suggestions, please chime in. Thanks.

If the concrete floor is a sub floor I would not worry about it too much. Tile, carpet or wood flooring can be installed over stains without any ill effects. If it would bother you to now that there were stains, just seal the concrete with, HD sells Thompsons for pretty cheap. A penetrating sealer will not be as effective at blocking oil stains as a surface sealer would be. Thompsons makes both types. I am building a CNC router in my family room right now so I fully support you plans!

Back