Family Room As Workshop

65Cobra427SC

Registered
Registered
Hi Everyone

I thought I would start a thread about using the downstairs family room as a workshop. I did this for a couple reasons. First, I thought it might be interesting because I haven't done anything in the room yet to even begin the transformation. But I also never did this before and I could probably use some advice.

But one thing I haven't mentioned yet... I intentionally didn't say I was converting the family room into a workshop because I'm not sure I want to go quite that far. So maybe some basic information is in order.

Split entry home... 3 bedrooms... 2-1/2 baths... 2 car garage with a couple toys. Family room is below ground... walls and ceiling are finished and the concrete floor is carpeted. It's only been used for things like storage, painting, etc. Garage has workbench, drill press, buffer, air compressor and air/hand tools. I like working with my hands, especially using aluminum and stainless steel, but never used a lathe or mill. A friend MIG/TIG welds for a living so I go to him for anything I need done in that department.

Things are changing soon... a PM1236 lathe is due later this month (although that could easily change) but a PM932M-PDF mill is being delivered next week. I chose Matt at Quality Machine Tools because he seems to be a good guy. No business is perfect but most people seem to like him and these particular machines. But his place is also less than 30 minutes from me... so I can harass him any time I want. So if you're reading this Matt, look out.

I'll take a couple pics of how the room is now and post them. Then I'll make a post to start off where I'm going with the room. Feel free to chime in and yes, I'll have questions as well. I think that's it for now so I'll go grab the camera.

Cobra

Pics start from far left corner and continue around towards the right. Just finished some painting upstairs so there is a lot to put away and other things need reorganized so into the dungeon I go.

001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg 006.jpg

Cobra---I hope your wife is OK with your plan and you don't have children on the increase----I guess you didn't say that you have children--or even a wife--if you are single then you have no problems, but if you have a wife and children it may make a concern to deal with--you need to keep the wife happy in the home----well when I was young I used one of the lower bedrooms as a shop and even rebuilt a Buick transmission and a small motorcycle for our son in it---well when we got two more children I had to move out quick and redo it as a bedroom again---that is something to think about, that it may not be a permanent shop area---if your wife is OK with the plan then go for it---a shop for small machines and hand tools is good to have and a unused family room can work out good--better than going outside to an unheated shop in northern cold states-----Dave

No worries Dave. Only an ex-wife who is out of the picture and one daughter who is married and on her own. So only three people live in the house now... me, myself and I... and we all get along fine. So good in fact that we're all on the same page with this project, ha. Thanks for your concern though.

Did a partial cleanup of the basement today so it looks better. There are a few items I'll need to sell before it's completely clean but they can go on the unused side of the room until that happens. I'll spend a few hours on it again tomorrow, but if the weather holds up, I'm off to a cruise on the bike.

Carpets and metal chips don't mix.... Well, actually they do. So well, you'll never get them out.

First thing you will want to do is get rid of the carpet.

Exactly Ben... and brilliantly worded. Once I finish cleaning up I'll remove the carpet... will start with the far half of the room where the equipment will go. Once that portion of the floor is finished, then I can get the mill out of the garage and set up. My most difficult decision is what flooring to lay over the concrete slab. I definitely don't want to have just a bare slab. Thee are lots of flooring options but it seems like each one has it's own issues. I'll elaborate on this more later and could really use some help. Thanks.

You may want to add an exhaust fan. Any cutting oils or fluids that burn off may linger into the rest of the house. A large bathroom vent may work or a box fan in the window for summer.

Nice, I like it. The joys of living alone!

I have a '74 Vespa in my dining room, CPR oil cans in my kitchen (had olive oil in one for a while), and my entire shop, wood and metal, has always been in my basement. A small in-line fan from an old electric heater ducted out to the porch takes care of the small amount of smoke and fumes from the small amount of welding that I do, and that's mostly to stop from setting off the smoke detectors. Might as well be comfortable doing what you like to do. I guess I come by it honestly though -- my grandfather kept his motorcycle in the kitchen :encourage:

-frank

The other posts covered family, chips and fan concerns.
Since it's just you, then noise/sound-proofing won't come into play either.
However there are a few more things to think about.....

What about power? I did not see an electrical panel in any of those shots.
What size of tools are you talking; how many amps and 120 or 240V?
Easy to pull wires and install new outlets?

Stairs. Obviously having the equipment delivered into a garage shop is easy. Having to move things down the stairs can be a dangerous hassle.
Got a couple big friends and a sturdy cart?
Any big windows that could be used for access?

-brino

Bill, excellent... it had yet to occur to me about ventilation so I'm glad you brought it up and I want to make sure whatever I install is substantial. Since the far wall where the lathe and mill will go is completely underground, I'll need something that will vent out one of the windows on the adjacent wall. I was thinking of replacing the windows with glass block but that might make things more complicated. But the double hung windows there now would need something that can be easily installed/removed since I may not use the machines for days or weeks at a time. Something like a bathroom fan would vent the room without letting cold air in during the evenings or winter months so that's a good idea. I'll do some searching but if anyone has any ideas, feel free to post here.

Back