Extension cord question

Sorry guys....I will plug this into a receptacle along my driveway (out in the open) then run on down the side of the driveway to my bluing room (a lone small room). It will be plugged in there to a outlet that is wired thru the walls to the inside.
Just to be sure. At the blueing room you must have a male connector on the wall so that you have a female connector on your cord. A cord with a male connector at both ends is also known as a suicide cord.

I do have a 6AWG NM extension cord for my welder. It is about 40 feet to reach the end of the driveway. But after every use it gets rolled up and put away in the basement, it has never even spent the night outside. Leaving a 220 outlet out in the elements unattended scares me. Being 6AWG it is stranded wires, Very heavy strands and not very flexible. I roll it into about a 3 foot Dia coil. I only use it about once every 2 or 3 years so it is not doing a lot of flexing.

Just to be sure. At the blueing room you must have a male connector on the wall so that you have a female connector on your cord. A cord with a male connector at both ends is also known as a suicide cord.

I do have a 6AWG NM extension cord for my welder. It is about 40 feet to reach the end of the driveway. But after every use it gets rolled up and put away in the basement, it has never even spent the night outside. Leaving a 220 outlet out in the elements unattended scares me. Being 6AWG it is stranded wires, Very heavy strands and not very flexible. I roll it into about a 3 foot Dia coil. I only use it about once every 2 or 3 years so it is not doing a lot of flexing.
Some 35 years ago, I made up a 50' extension cable for my welder using 4 AWG triplex. I needed to move my welder outside from its basement location to complete a couple of large projects. Since then, I have additional welding capability including a portable welder and the cable hasn't been used in more than 30 years. My use was also temporary and the cable was brought in when use was done.

so it's still romex. Yes it's UF, but when I look it up, it's also referred to as Romex..
View attachment 455845
Romex (capital R) is a brand name of Southwire. Southwire can use the name however they wish.
romex (lower case r) is the generic term for NM cable rated for indoor use. (like kleenex is generic for tissues)
Semantics aside, the point is...see posts #28 and #29. The intent is don't kill yourself, your dog or your meter reader. :)

Tom

Back