Extension cord question

I don't think we are getting a clear description.
Is this to goto the building from another building, so you can light the place.
or is this within the building?

If this is between buildings, then romex (outdoor type) can be buried in the ground... code around here is 2 feet. It may vary by you.
I could be wrong, but I don't believe that code applies if used as an extension cord.

Sorry guys....I will plug this into a receptacle along my driveway (out in the open) then run on down the side of the driveway to my bluing room (a lone small room). It will be plugged in there to a outlet that is wired thru the walls to the inside.

Sorry guys....I will plug this into a receptacle along my driveway (out in the open) then run on down the side of the driveway to my bluing room (a lone small room). It will be plugged in there to a outlet that is wired thru the walls to the inside.
I think you’ll be fine. Lots of ways to do it right, but if cost is the main consideration then do whatever it takes.

As long as you treat it as temporary, and pay attention as you would any other extension I don’t think there’s a big risk.

Use outdoor rated if possible.

John

Tell us about the lights. How many watts and how many? How many watts for other loads? You may not need 10 AWG even at 250 Feet if the load is small. Probably depends too if you have motors that turn on and off etc. and how long the run to the outlet you are plugging into already is.

Code does apply, indirectly. This is not an extension cord's job. Extension cords (any temporary wiring) are meant to be temporary. This application, especially with the pass-through outlet in the wall does not seem to meet that requirement. Romex is meant to be protected from harm by sheetrock or for the direct-burial stuff, by dirt.

As others have mentioned, Romex insulation isn't very strong and it is fairly thin. It is usually not very UV resistant so the insulation can get brittle in the sun pretty fast. Water will get inside the outer jacket. I've cut a few corners myself now and then but I wouldn't do what you are suggesting. Because it is outside, I would worry about some kid stepping on failed insulation of the wire in a year or two and getting electrocuted.

If you are determined to use an "extension cord", maybe check out someone like awcwire.com. SO cable is expensive but I have bought "end of roll" stuff from them at a good price. (hit and miss).

Else, I suggest you bury (direct burial type) or in conduit. Also, protect it where it emerges from the ground to the outlet/building.

Ok guys....thanks for the comments. Looks like the romex is out. I'll just save a little longer and buy a nice cord....thanks for cutting me some slack.

What's wrong with Romex? It's cheap and readily available. If it starts to deteriorate just replace it. I'm currently using some
indoor-rated stuff outside under my eaves for a driveway floodlight- it's been working for over a decade
Go cheap or go broke, your choice- that's my spill :)

Electric current is based upon surface area, on a cord that long strand wire would be better that solid due to its surface area which should help with the resistance....
That's an oversimplification, and in this case wrong. For AC, it is based on "skin depth", the outer "skin" layer is what matters, not strictly surface area. At 50-60Hz in copper, the skin depth is on the order of 3/8", so roughly the outer 3/8" carries the current. The amount of copper in stranded vs solid in the outer 3/8" in 10ga is for practical purposes identical. At higher frequencies this becomes more of an issue.

I plan to just leave it out in place on the dirt and only use it for my bluing room. When I go down to blue I'll just plug it in and use it. When I'm done I will just unplug and leave it in place. It's only use will be the bluing room
If it were mine I would bury it and use the proper type of wire for underground as suggested by woodchucker. I would also install a small slave/remote breaker box in the remote location and one or 2 outlets. I have run to remote locations with an "extension cord" the plug ends are not really rated for this either, when parked in the same place they tend to degrade a bit.

That's an oversimplification, and in this case wrong. For AC, it is based on "skin depth", the outer "skin" layer is what matters, not strictly surface area. At 50-60Hz in copper, the skin depth is on the order of 3/8", so roughly the outer 3/8" carries the current. The amount of copper in stranded vs solid in the outer 3/8" in 10ga is for practical purposes identical. At higher frequencies this becomes more of an issue.
Hey Rabler, I'm not a Sparky, I look it up in Ugly's and go from there. My philosophy is do it as correctly as possible to avoid shocking experiences...

Hey Rabler, I'm not a Sparky, I look it up in Ugly's and go from there. My philosophy is do it as correctly as possible to avoid shocking experiences...
Good philosophy!

Back