Extension cord question

Mike8623

Registered
Registered
Ok folks...a little off topic here but I've got a electrical question.
I would like to make a 250 foot 10/3 extension cord. Can I use romex to make since it is cheaper than that sooo stuff. I'm not much when it to electricity so cut me a little slack

Solid wire doesn't make for a good extension cord in my opinion. Going to be quite stiff and hard to recoil up again. Bend it too much or too often and the copper will work harden and break. Stranded wire is a better fit. I guess if it is a single use, it might be ok, otherwise, I'd go stranded, hands down.

It would be used exclusively for my bluing room where I have a few overhead lights and a radio.

So is this going to be left in place, (permanent) or wound up again (temporary)? If wound up do you have some sort of spool for it or some crank to wind it up? Hard to understand how the cable will be treated.

Basically Romex is not an extension cord, it is for fixed interior wiring. You can get burial rated cable for going outdoors between structures. At the moment exactly how you plan to use or run the cable, or move it hasn't been clearly stated (to me). Maybe others can help out with this. I do know that (from using welding cables) you want the most flexible cables you can buy. Unwieldy cables are horrible to use.

I have used Romex before. As @WobblyHand said, if it is bent or flexed too many tines, it can fracture. The key takeaway is the ratio if the bend radius to the wire diameter, Stranded wire is made of many strands of smaller diameter wire to make up the same cross section as the equivalent solid wire so its acceptable bend radius is much smaller.

If using Romex, it shouldn't be flexed more than necessary. Make large radius bends as much as possible.. If coiling up after use, make the coil diameter as large as practical. Replace with proper stranded wire cable if this is a long term use.

For a low amp usage like lighting or transistor radio, 10 AWG is an overkill. The total resistance of 10 AWG for a 250' run is .5 ohms. With a 10 amo draw, that is only a 5 volt drop. 12 AWG would have a total resistance of .8 ohms for that run which would have an 8 volt drop. Hardly noticeable difference.

Ok folks...a little off topic here but I've got a electrical question.
I would like to make a 250 foot 10/3 extension cord. Can I use romex to make since it is cheaper than that sooo stuff. I'm not much when it to electricity so cut me a little slack
Electric current is based upon surface area, on a cord that long strand wire would be better that solid due to its surface area which should help with the resistance....

I plan to just leave it out in place on the dirt and only use it for my bluing room. When I go down to blue I'll just plug it in and use it. When I'm done I will just unplug and leave it in place. It's only use will be the bluing room

It would be used exclusively for my bluing room where I have a few overhead lights and a radio.
I don't think we are getting a clear description.
Is this to goto the building from another building, so you can light the place.
or is this within the building?

If this is between buildings, then romex (outdoor type) can be buried in the ground... code around here is 2 feet. It may vary by you.

I see you replied at the same time.
Romex does not have a very durable cover. If I were running 10/3 on the ground, I would want a thicker rubber sleeve.
underground, Gray Romex (outdoor) no problem.

I should add that copper, lke other metals, can be flexed or bent many times as long as you stay within its elastic limit. Each time you exceed that, you do a little more damage until ultimately it breaks. Extension cords and flexible power cords use relatively fine wire and thick insulation on the wire and the jacket which tend to resist sharp bends. Stranded wire is usually laid in 7, 19, 37, 51 or 81 strand configurations This is done because it makes for a compact and stable geometry based on a hexagon. Most low cost extension cord are usually 19 strand. Flexible wire used for electronic or automotive purposes is typically 7 strand as is flexibility is intended for ease of installation and once installed, it moves very little, if ever. Cables used in automation have to be super flexible and generally have a high strand count..

Fun fact: Farms out in the plains had telephone service before Chicago did. The farmers and ranchers used their barbed wire fences for connecting the phones with a short cable running from the fence to the house to complete the circuit. Two strand wire, of course. Wooden fence posts were used in stead of steel posts so insulators weren't necessary. They may have had telephone outages during heavy rain storms though.

Back