ER collets... Trying somethin new...

What about rubbing graphite on the spindle taper?
A dry lube wouldn't hold chips or grit.

You could try it, but I have the feeling it might be "too good". You need just enough to keep things from galling/binding, but not enough so they are slippery. I also tend to have the problem that dry lubes don't always stay where I put em :))

Glad things are working out for you Ray; it's always nice when our shiny new toys work out the way we hoped ;)

Re the ER32. I was looking at the tormach site, and they have ER-32 holders now ;) I might pick up a couple as I have a nice set of ER-32 collets and no holder (sold it with my old lathe).

The "stick" in the ERs usually doesn't involve having to pry the collets at, because as you said, there is a ring that pulls the collet out. What I experienced when I ran them dry is that it required a lot of force to break the torque on the nut on loosening, and then, once the nut was loose, it took a fair amount of torque to pull the collet out of the taper.

You could try it, but I have the feeling it might be "too good". You need just enough to keep things from galling/binding, but not enough so they are slippery. I also tend to have the problem that dry lubes don't always stay where I put em :))

Glad things are working out for you Ray; it's always nice when our shiny new toys work out the way we hoped ;)

Re the ER32. I was looking at the tormach site, and they have ER-32 holders now ;) I might pick up a couple as I have a nice set of ER-32 collets and no holder (sold it with my old lathe).

The "stick" in the ERs usually doesn't involve having to pry the collets at, because as you said, there is a ring that pulls the collet out. What I experienced when I ran them dry is that it required a lot of force to break the torque on the nut on loosening, and then, once the nut was loose, it took a fair amount of torque to pull the collet out of the taper.

Perhaps the reason I'm met with such luck is that these collets are highly polished. I give a good bit of love when tightening them and likewise loosing them but, as soon as it breaks loose, the endmill drops out and the nut unscrews with finger pressure. The threads on the nut and collet holder are ground and polished and, I put a very light smear of oil on them.

I purchased an ER32 collet nut wrench that has 4 spanner pins that are about 1/4" wide. -Nice and beefy. I'm using a large crescent wrench on the flats of the holder but, I already made a special purpose wrench for that but, it's waiting for the next time I fire-up the heat treat oven.

ER32SpannerWrench.jpg

Ray

ER32SpannerWrench.jpg

Back