ER collets... Trying somethin new...

Ray C

Registered
Registered
Well, we'll see how this goes... For the CNC machine, I'm going to try ER 32 collets. Normally, I've always used dedicated endmill holders because I'm a big fan of Weldon shank attachment which prevents the bit from shifting position -which by the way, always digs down deeper into the part and usually ruins it. -Funny how it's hard to put metal back on once it's been machined off...

Anyhow, time will tell if I like these or not but for now, I'm simply enjoying how nice they look. The main reason I went this route was to speed-up tool changes and re-zeroing the tool. I've worked-up a little procedure and if it pans out smoothly, I'll fill you all in.

I have a small production job going on now with the CNC mill and each part requires a few tool changes. If all goes well, the tool change will just involve swapping the collet, cutter and setting the bit height off a custom made (for this job) gage block.

They're so cute and fun to hold. -My wife threatened my life for putting them on the kitchen granite -Be warned about such family infractions!

And here you go... some eye-candy tool pics...

ER32Pieces.JPG

Ray

ER32Pieces.JPG

I am currently using er-20 TTS collet holders, and like them quite a bit. I have not had any issues with pullout, though, I don't try to hog material out. They will also only cary up to a 1/2" shank. I like the tts holders because they are fairly inexpensive, and the shanks are shorter than a full R-8.

I'll also add, don't forget the anti-seize (I use the copper based stuff) on the collet holder threads and collet tapers, it is a night and day difference.

I am currently using er-20 TTS collet holders, and like them quite a bit. I have not had any issues with pullout, though, I don't try to hog material out. They will also only cary up to a 1/2" shank. I like the tts holders because they are fairly inexpensive, and the shanks are shorter than a full R-8.

I'll also add, don't forget the anti-seize (I use the copper based stuff) on the collet holder threads and collet tapers, it is a night and day difference.

Roger That...

EDIT: BTW, I was seriously looking at ER 20 and 25 as it would be ideal size for all the work I do. For the life of me, I could not find the corresponding R8 holder that suited my price range and perceived quality level. Of course, having said that, no less than a dozen of you will post links. Anyhow, I'm leery of the inexpensive ones and too broke for the high-dollar units. Solution: Get an ER32 setup as good ones are common and reasonably priced... How's that for fancy logic?

This set I have has some kind of nickel finish that supposedly prevents seizing up. (I'll get the stuff you recommended nonetheless). Anyhow, these collets are slightly different in that they're a slightly unusual fractional size from most sets, are supposedly 0.0001 RO -and have magical powers too. Time will tell.

I chucked up a fresh carbide and put a tenths TDI on the smooth part of the shank. It was so flat-lined I didn't think the probe was touching the piece.

We'll see. I'm skeptical...

Ray

Last edited:
ray why don't you just set the tool offsets in the cnc controller?

ray why don't you just set the tool offsets in the cnc controller?

I can do that too but, I was really trying to get away from messing with the drawbar any more than necessary. I need switch different diameter bits and would need to pull the drawbar.

Ray

Not sure if you have seen any of the various pneumatic drawbar designs floating around for the square column mills, but they would be worth looking at. A pneumatic drawbar is high on my list if upgrades.

Not sure if you have seen any of the various pneumatic drawbar designs floating around for the square column mills, but they would be worth looking at. A pneumatic drawbar is high on my list if upgrades.

Are you referring to those multi stage air cylinders to compress a bellville washer stack and release Tormach tool holders from the 3/4" collet? Anyway, I think those are way cool.

Dave

You don't have to wait, just get a butterfly impact wrench and a stool if you're short. Make the fancy stuff later.

Back