ER collets... Trying somethin new...

So the r8 conversion shank stays in the machine and the you unlock the smaller collets with the spanner? If so that could save some time and some draw bars I figure. How much, if any, clearance do you lose from spindle to table over the r8?

You don't have to wait, just get a butterfly impact wrench and a stool if you're short. Make the fancy stuff later.

Auto drawbar stuff is cool to look at but, at my level of sophistication with this whole ordeal, it's going to have to wait. The good news though, is the customer for the batch of parts accepted the first lot of five samples. In about two-three weeks from now, followed by a couple days of heat treating the parts, the mill will have paid for itself twice over...

Ray

Auto drawbar stuff is cool to look at but, at my level of sophistication with this whole ordeal, it's going to have to wait.
And when you finally spend the $50 you'll wonder why you waited so long. :)

And when you finally spend the $50 you'll wonder why you waited so long. :)

Well... The image that comes to my mind when I think "auto drawbar" looks really like a "Automatic Tool Changer". Now that would be cool to have. Anyhow, the part takes 58 minutes. First two tool changes happen in the first 15 minutes then, the ball nose takes over for the rest of the time.... Hey, I know! I need two more CNC mills! (A bigger shop to put them in would be nice too)...

Ray

I have an ER25 collet chuck and all but one size of the collets. I only have about 5 R8 collets, with the butterfly I switch back and forth all the time, just the impact in my hand. I'm 6'4" so it's easy to reach up.

$52 on Amazon today and you'll have one on Tuesday, ask me which one to buy.

I have an ER25 collet chuck and all but one size of the collets. I only have about 5 R8 collets, with the butterfly I switch back and forth all the time, just the impact in my hand. I'm 6'4" so it's easy to reach up.

$52 on Amazon today and you'll have one on Tuesday, ask me which one to buy.

Sure, I'll look at it... Which one is it?

Ray

Well... The image that comes to my mind when I think "auto drawbar" looks really like a "Automatic Tool Changer". Now that would be cool to have. Anyhow, the part takes 58 minutes. First two tool changes happen in the first 15 minutes then, the ball nose takes over for the rest of the time.... Hey, I know! I need two more CNC mills! (A bigger shop to put them in would be nice too)...

Ray
I wanna see the parts your making! :thumbzup:

Back