Electric Vehicles on the horizon? Do your homework

People are aware of the growing tide of batteries needing to be recycled in 8-10 years and are working hard to figure out ways of either reusing the batteries (power walls, utility scale storage etc) or recycling them,
That's great!!
There are going to be lots of these batteries/vehicles coming in after their useable life has been diminished.

CA had required that auto manufacturers make and offer at least one zero emission car so Honda, Toyota, Ford and GM all made electric cars that you could only lease.
I remember the story of the guy with his electric Ford Ranger. He didn't want to give it back, he loved it. A legal battle was called for. He won.
I wonder why the manufacturer wanted them back?
Cradle to grave control of the dangerous high voltage battery maybe?

I remember the story of the guy with his electric Ford Ranger. He didn't want to give it back, he loved it. A legal battle was called for. He won.
I forgot to mention the peoples place the gig was at had one of those Ford Rangers. I think it was a ‘97? It had over 100kmi and had only tires. They said it had lithium batteries and had never given any probs. What I think is the most astounding part was I never heard anything about all of this until this party.

My understanding (at least with the EV1) is that they were maintenance nightmares that the manufacturers were already losing money on thanks to a really immature design, and the government rule requiring parts-availability for 10 years would have caused them to take a giant bath on it.

My understanding (at least with the EV1) is that they were maintenance nightmares that the manufacturers were already losing money on thanks to a really immature design, and the government rule requiring parts-availability for 10 years would have caused them to take a giant bath on it.
I believe this is covered in this movie or the second movie. The problems I heard was with the batteries and once they replaced them a lot of problems were solved.

I'm reading Automotive news this morning.

'Mazda speeds up EV introduction efforts" -13 hybrid and plug-in models expected by 2025"
"Lordstown Motors-a start-up electric vehicle company has plans to build electric work trucks at a closed down GM plant in Ohio"
"GM, Ford locked in EV spending race"
"Swedish auto start-up Polestar is deciding to produce their new EV line-up at Ridgeville, South Carolina at the Volvo's plant".

Jaguar Land Rover will begin testing a hydrogen fuel cell electric prototype based on the Land Rover Defender.

There must be half a dozen new companies planning to build EV's here in the US, due to tariffs.

I'm telling you, the industry is in flux.

the government rule requiring parts-availability for 10 years
Erich,
I've heard that before. As a guy in the business who started in the parts dept., manufacturers don't carry parts for ten years unless they can make money by selling the parts.
Electric modules, seat covers, mirrors, interior trim and anything that is low volume go obsolete within 5 years.
In my experience, as a long time parts manager/parts and service director.

Last edited:
I've heard that before. As a guy in the business who started in the parts dept., manufacturers don't carry parts for ten years unless they can make money by selling the parts.
Electric modules, seat covers, mirrors, interior trim and anything that is low volume go obsolete within 5 years.
I think you're right! I researched it a bit over the last ~5 minutes and see a bunch of articles mentioning it is a myth. Thanks for pointing that out!

Either that, or they get outrageously expensive. The same way the govt contractors treat parts they do not want to stock.

Either that, or they get outrageously expensive
Right you are sir.
I remember an anti-skid electric/hydraulic valve for a full size Bronco was>$2,700 back in the 90's. One of those items that make you question, is it worth it?

Back