Eisen 1440EV has Shipped!

Oh man I am so sorry to see this, thankfully no one was hurt.

Understood. What type of company do I search for. Everyone says get the right people but give no examples.
Machinery Riggers.
Next, you might want to do like @pontiac428 and cut a hole in your ceiling, and hang a chain fall over the tie beam.
lift from inside the bed webbing using straps and add cribbing as you lift to prevent it from settling back on the lathe if things go wrong.
That's a big "IF" If the joists/beams above are strong enough to bear the weight. Maybe, if the joists are say 2x10's and you run a temporary triple 2x12 beam crosswise resting 4 of them it could work. But if that's a garage with truss roof, the bottom chords are likely just 2x4's, which would not be nearly strong enough.

If I was in that situation, I'd build a temporary but well constructed "gantry" out of wood or steel over the lathe, put a sling around the bed near the headstock and slowly lift it with a chain hoist.

Machinery Riggers.

That's a big "IF" If the joists/beams above are strong enough to bear the weight. Maybe, if the joists are say 2x10's and you run a temporary triple 2x12 beam crosswise resting 4 of them it could work. But if that's a garage with truss roof, the bottom chords are likely just 2x4's, which would not be nearly strong enough.

If I was in that situation, I'd build a temporary but well constructed "gantry" out of wood or steel over the lathe, put a sling around the bed near the headstock and slowly lift it with a chain hoist.
true enough, I was thinking old construction, and that looks new. I didn't think of that.

I would add outriggers to your cabinet. in your case too late to add outriggers that support both sides, but when you right the unit, you want the outriggers to prevent you from going over the high side. Use 2x4's on end (so the 3.5 is vertical). If you attach it properly you will be good.

Next, you might want to do like @pontiac428 and cut a hole in your ceiling, and hang a chain fall over the tie beam.
lift from inside the bed webbing using straps and add cribbing as you lift to prevent it from settling back on the lathe if things go wrong.
Not sure my rafters can support that much weight, good idea though.

I agree with the above comments about hiring machinery riggers to get your new lathe off its face. I had my lathe delivered right to my local rigger and they brought it out to my shop. They had a piece of equipment for every scenario. Check online for your local area. Man I feel bad for ya.

Machinery Riggers.

Your'e right, that's a very big IF. What you are suggesting is just what I would do but I'm not sure if he has a welder or not.

So the guy coming over is one of the guys that rigs and moves large pieces of equipment and machinery where we work. Equipment 20 thousand pounds and more.
His comment was “it’s only 2300 pounds?” No problem.
If he gets there and his ideas won’t work, I finally found a place (finally, after the fact!!) that rents 8’ gantry cranes. It’s always the last place you look.
Once it’s up, I’ll assess the damage, check straightness with lasers, etc. and go from there.
Looking at it now the way it sits, I’ll probably need a new cross slide and handles - possibly new apron with controls.

Why didn’t I check with him first?
No freakin clue. Why didn’t I get a pallet jack in the first place like I should have? Again. No freakin clue. Stupidity I guess.

All you guys screaming “You should have heeded warnings, etc..”. Yeah. I know. Get off it now. That doesn’t help anything at the moment. It’s done.
Hopefully it’s salvageable more than I think.

I’m glad you didn’t get hurt, the lathe can always get repaired.

I was just going to suggest renting a gantry crane, but glad you know someone with the experience to help you out.

sorry, I try to avoid the I told you so's but you now learned why this can be a valuable forum..
Its like the argument.. I don't need safety glasses, or gloves are not a risk, I'm safe..

Until someone is not.

Being in the construction industry most of my life, I have dealt with countless "catastrophes" that seemed impossible to remedy at the moment. None ever wound up being nearly as bad as they seemed and every one was resolved. Sure some cost money fix but never nearly as much as I first imagined (Visions of being sued into the Stone Age, etc). Don't beat yourself up with should haves and could haves and ignore the naysayers. Get er up, replace the parts, it should be fine.

Back