Eagle Engine Help

The plans are not very specific as far as the governor goes and does not explain how everything has to work together. I have found that when working with a set of plans they are more of a suggestion than a rule as to how to make it.

These are the four parts of my simple carburetor less the spring. I have used this design on four of my other models and they work fine.
IMG_0928.JPG

And the carb assembled and installed on the engine.
IMG_0932.JPG

I couldn't help myself since we are so close I just had to give it a try.
I taped a gas tank I had made for another engine onto the side of the box and installed a short hose to the carb. Put in some fuel and gave it a few spins.
I started to get some talking (firing) from the engine as I was adjusting the carb and timing. It even made a few sentences of 5 to 10 seconds long and I thought I was almost there but then for no apparent reason there was no compression. Tomorrow I will take the head off and see what is going on.
YES IT DOES RUN just not for very long.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Wow, thats great progress! Better than I ever had. Most I would get was 2-3 'pops' and it was done.

I took the head off and bolted it to a pressure test plate. The valves were sealed almost perfect with just a little leak so I took them out and used some copper polish to touch them up. I normally would not do that as they were so close to perfect I would have just left them as is. Very good job Erich many people have trouble getting the valves to seal. (me too)
While laping the valves I noticed the intake valve would hangup sometimes. On closer inspection of the valve stem I found a small ridge that would catch on the valve guide if everything was just right and hold the valve open so I filed that smooth.

IMG_0934.JPG

As long as I had the head off I decided to enlarge the hole around the spark plug so I could get a socket on it. Erich I am glad you sent an extra spark plug along as I broke the original one trying to get it out.

IMG_0935.JPG

I also cut off some of the cooling fins on the lower right side of the head so I could get a wrench on the head bolt nut.

IMG_0938.JPG

Even thou the engine has fairly good compression it just wasn't up to what I thought was acceptable. I decided to get the engine running and see if the compression would come up after some running time.
I flipped the engine over a few times and it would run for about 5 seconds and stop but then no compression again. I took the head off again but couldn't find anything wrong but I made a new head gasket for it anyway.
The compression is back up but still not like it should be.
This time the engine fired right up and kept on running. After about 30 seconds I decided to put some water in the cooling tank so it wouldn't over heat. To my surprise I found a fountain of bubbles coming out of the cooling tank. That could mean only one thing the cylinder liner was not sealed to the cylinder. I shut off the engine and pulled off the head again and this time I looked at the liner more closely. I found the liner was 0.013 lower than the surrounding cylinder block. This allowed the compression to escape into the cooling tank and ever time it fired it was Lawrence Welk time.
I was able to get the liner out with out damage. I turned down a steel rod for a mandrel and pressed the liner out of the cylinder.

IMG_0942.JPG

IMG_0943.JPG

I had done the same thing on another engine a while back so don't feel bad Erich it took me three tries to find it.
I cleaned up all the parts and reassembled using red high temp sealant all around. I then clamped it all together to hold the liner tight in the block until the sealant sets up.
Tomorrow I will clean off the excess sealant, put it in the milling machine, and deck the cylinder to the same height as the liner.
That should be the end of our low compression problems.

Thanks for looking
Ray

I took the head off and bolted it to a pressure test plate. The valves were sealed almost perfect with just a little leak so I took them out and used some copper polish to touch them up. I normally would not do that as they were so close to perfect I would have just left them as is. Very good job Erich many people have trouble getting the valves to seal. (me too)
While laping the valves I noticed the intake valve would hangup sometimes. On closer inspection of the valve stem I found a small ridge that would catch on the valve guide if everything was just right and hold the valve open so I filed that smooth.

View attachment 412803

As long as I had the head off I decided to enlarge the hole around the spark plug so I could get a socket on it. Erich I am glad you sent an extra spark plug along as I broke the original one trying to get it out.

View attachment 412804

I also cut off some of the cooling fins on the lower right side of the head so I could get a wrench on the head bolt nut.

View attachment 412805

Even thou the engine has fairly good compression it just wasn't up to what I thought was acceptable. I decided to get the engine running and see if the compression would come up after some running time.
I flipped the engine over a few times and it would run for about 5 seconds and stop but then no compression again. I took the head off again but couldn't find anything wrong but I made a new head gasket for it anyway.
The compression is back up but still not like it should be.
This time the engine fired right up and kept on running. After about 30 seconds I decided to put some water in the cooling tank so it wouldn't over heat. To my surprise I found a fountain of bubbles coming out of the cooling tank. That could mean only one thing the cylinder liner was not sealed to the cylinder. I shut off the engine and pulled off the head again and this time I looked at the liner more closely. I found the liner was 0.013 lower than the surrounding cylinder block. This allowed the compression to escape into the cooling tank and ever time it fired it was Lawrence Welk time.
I was able to get the liner out with out damage. I turned down a steel rod for a mandrel and pressed the liner out of the cylinder.

View attachment 412806

View attachment 412807

I had done the same thing on another engine a while back so don't feel bad Erich it took me three tries to find it.
I cleaned up all the parts and reassembled using red high temp sealant all around. I then clamped it all together to hold the liner tight in the block until the sealant sets up.
Tomorrow I will clean off the excess sealant, put it in the milling machine, and deck the cylinder to the same height as the liner.
That should be the end of our low compression problems.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Ah, I think I remember grinding a custom socket/wrenches on the bench grinder for those things, I wasn't sure how much at the time I could take out.

I ended up buying a couple of spark plugs at the time thinking maybe the cheap spark plug was causing my problem :/ But glad it came in handy!

I'm amazed there was a leak around the liner! That liner was in there pretty tight at the time... BUT glad you were able to get it sealed and cleaned up! I wonder if I messed something up from the plans, i wouldn't think I would have left 13 thou unless the plans had me do SOMETHING like that. But fantastic catch!

Keeping my fingers crossed. Tomorrow should be the day it runs without issues.

I didn't have a lot of time today to work on the engine but I did get the head decked and cleaned up.
IMG_0946.JPG

As I was reassembling the engine I got frustrated with the temp gas tank. I had just taped it to the box and it kept falling off and causing a mess so I made a permanent stand.
Hope you like it Erich.
IMG_0950.JPG

I do have compression now and lots of it as it should be.
I had several runs of 15 to 30 seconds but then it just shuts off. I will have to check it more closely tomorrow as I am done in for today.

Thanks for looking

Ray

I have some good news and some bad news.

Good first

I have had maybe ten runs on the engine and each time I shut it off to correct something or it ran out of gas but now
I can't get the engine to run again. Spin the engine over and it will fire once or maybe twice but won't catch and run. I have changed all the adjustments for timing and ignition. I have installed a different carb, a different ignition module with a hall sensor, a new spark plug, and removed the valves again and inspected closely but nothing helps.
I have been working on this for a couple of days so I should just put it aside for a while. I has to be something simple and I will get it but I need a break.

Thanks for looking
Ray

That is running fantastic! I'm really impressed/grateful that you were able to get this running! It was going to rust away otherwise, and I'm sure I couldn't have figured what you did.

Is that 'ping' sound for the 'miss' as apparent in person, and is that normal?

Also, I love the new gas tank, thank you for that!

Get away from it for a while. Come back at it with a fresh mind set. Maybe the solution will jump out at you.

Back