Eagle Engine Help

rdean

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I was just finishing up my Eagle engine rebuild and got to thinking about a fellow HM member that had built an Eagle engine about the time I was starting with mine 2 years ago.

I didn't remember if he ever got it running so I sent him a pm and the answer was not yet. I asked if maybe another set of eyes on the engine would be helpful and he responded it would be and he sent the engine to me via USPS.
That engine made quite a trip from Oregon to Florida and a couple of side trips to Jacksonville and Orlando but I finally got it yesterday.

The engine was packed very well and there was no major damage to the outside of the box but the inside was a different story.
This is just some of the pieces that I found.
IMG_0902.JPG
The bottom tray, gas tank support and one main bearing cap were damaged or found in the bottom of the box.
IMG_0903.JPG

If you look closely at this picture you can see the entire crank shaft has been pushed to the right side. This caused the timing gears to bind and lockup. I think the box may have been dropped from some height and when it landed on its side the force from the heavy flywheels was great enough to shift everything over.
IMG_0905.JPG

When I got the crank shaft aligned with the center of the frame and the bearing cap on the engine turns over smoothly with no apparent permanent damage.
I spent some time evaluating the engine and checking Erich's workmanship which I find to be very good and extremely accurate. He can be proud of his Eagle build and now to get it running.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Attachments

• IMG_0907.JPG
    IMG_0907.JPG
    407.2 KB · Views: 18
Looks to be a very stout engine. Have you had a chance to run it?

No it is a ways off from that but it shouldn't be too big a project considering the good condition it is in.
I don't like the carburetor design so I will probably make a different one.

Ray

No it is a ways off from that but it shouldn't be too big a project considering the good condition it is in.
I don't like the carburetor design so I will probably make a different one.

Ray
Thanks for looking at this! I was definitely frustrated when I built this and couldn't get it running. The bearing cap might not have been bolted on, I don't remember the state of it when I boxed it up and didn't check on it, so hopefully not 'damaged' 'damaged', and just dislodged? It wouldn't be unlike me to just have put it on top at the time.

The tray and battery/tank piece were just wood glued in, so I could definitely imagine it not surviving the trip.

The carb was my biggest suspicion at the time, the plans weren't fantastic, and it never seemed to be a 'good' design, but I wasn't able to find better when I gave up.

Another thing to take a look at is the valves. I DID grind them, but not sure I went far enough? I couldn't really tell besides it looked shiny in all the right places.

Finally, the water tank I noticed was a bit rusty, I had left water in there and the liner is CI, so perhaps that is something that you might wish to hit with some de-ruster or something. Though, I doubt it'll matter much. I'm hoping this is something you can get running, and run often in your collection!

It is not my intention to keep the engine but to return it back to you when it is off the sick list.
I enjoy working on these IC engines and being retired I have plenty of time for that.

A little more disassembly and checking today.

Ray

I will consider this as a further adventure on this engine.
I followed, and enjoyed the original build thread.
Erich, you did a good job & I learned from it.
rdean, hope to learn a bit more now & see it run.
Cheers guys

After moving the crankshaft back to where it should be I installed the piston and rod assembly. When I tightened up the rod cap bolts I noticed it was a tight fit on the crank journal. I removed the rod and with a 0.0376 reamer opened up the rod end bearing. Nice and smooth now.
IMG_0909.JPG

Spinning the engine over I couldn't feel any compression so I removed the head and held my hand over the cylinder end. I spun it again but still very little compression so out comes the rod and piston. As per the plans the piston has a cast iron ring and since I have never had any luck in making piston rings I installed a Viton o-ring.
This shows cutting the o-ring groove in the piston.
IMG_0912.JPG

After reassembly the engine now holds a hard vacuum for over 30 seconds. I installed the head and now is some compression but the intake valve is leaking. I think I am going to try running it as is and see if it gets better.

I worked next on the governor assembly as I could see the governor arms were not closing all the way. I also noticed there was no room for the spool so it could move sideways.

This shows removing most of the center flange in order to get some room for the spool.
IMG_0913.JPG

This shows removing some material from the flywheel so the governor arms can close all the way.
IMG_0917.JPG

After a lot of bending, filing, and grinding I have the hit-miss arm installed and adjusted.
IMG_0920.JPG

And a view from the front end.
IMG_0921.JPG

This shows the rest of the exhaust valve linkage.
IMG_0922.JPG

The governor weights seemed to stick out quite a long ways so I drilled all the way through the weights and secured them with set screws. Much neater now. The governor even works as it should by blocking the exhaust valve at higher rpms and releasing it when the rpms drop.
IMG_0924.JPG

The carburetor will be next.

Thanks for looking

Ray

No doubt in my mind. You'll get it running. Just a matter of time.

Ugh, that governor system is pretty awful, I could never get it to 'be' in a way I liked it. I'm glad you're messing with it! I never really understood it completely, so I ended up trying to leave it 'off' to get the engine running for a while.

That is impressive with the compression! I DID have compression with the cast iron ring, though I could imagine time not being super nice to it, and I definitely didn't have 30 seconds of vacuum!

I'm unsurprised about the valves, I ended up grinding them in, but never knew when I was "done", so might have quit early. I'm so glad you're taking a look at this, it makes me happy to think this is going to run some day!

Back