Dro Choice?

But if you have the 1um you can set it to 5um or higher...that was my point.

If your DRO works that way than that's fine but I personally have never seen it work that way.

With all the DROs I've used it doesn't work that way. Again, the resolution setting does not change how many digits are displayed, it will still display 4 digits after the decimal for imperial no matter the resolution setting.

If you set the resolution to 5um with a 1um scale it will multiply the reading by 5. Moving the scale .100" will display .5000" on the DRO.

If you set the resolution to 1um with a 5um scale it will multiply by 2. Moving the scale .100" will display .2000" on the DRO.

Those of you trying this may want to verify with an indicator before you trust the DRO & scrap a part.

If your DRO works that way than that's fine but I personally have never seen it work that way.

Your absolutely right ...it don't work that way.
I set the res to 5 on my 1um scale and 1" travel of the carriage reads out .500 on the DRO. Set it to .1um for fun and moved another 1" and it added .010.
I was thinking the number of decimal places was settable lower also, but mine is only settable for 4 or 5 digits, no 3 digit option.
I'm used to all those numbers flashing from running the grinders so they don't bother me. That's why I buy 1um.

Thanks for confirming Russ. When I got my DRO there were a few us on a different forum that went through the same ordeal. They were also trying to figure out a way to change the display's resolution.

My 3 axis ordered on 3/31 showed up on 4/20. Took much longer than the first one.
The plan is for this one to do double duty on a couple of grinders. 2 axis for the cylindrical and 1 axis for the elevation on a surface grinder that is right behind it. There is a wall separating them so I'll have a window and turn the head to be able to see the readout from the machine being used.

Back